History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gagie, Gagie Filters, Gagie Well, Including Filter Beds, Gatepier and Boundary Wall

A Category B Listed Building in Murroes, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5238 / 56°31'25"N

Longitude: -2.8868 / 2°53'12"W

OS Eastings: 345539

OS Northings: 737216

OS Grid: NO455372

Mapcode National: GBR VM.CZB2

Mapcode Global: WH7R5.M9J3

Entry Name: Gagie, Gagie Filters, Gagie Well, Including Filter Beds, Gatepier and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 10 December 1991

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353234

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18998

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Murroes

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw

Parish: Murroes

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in
Monikie

Description

James Leslie, engineer, 1848, substantial, circular-plan well tower, rebuilt and extended to include filter beds and boundary wall by George Baxter, engineer, 1906-7, with architectural detail by brother David Baxter.

WELL (1848, REBUILT 1906): single storey, circular-plan wellhead with projecting entrance porch. Lightly stugged sandstone courses, grey slate roof. Moulded base course, 2 multi-pane timber-framed top-hopper windows, massive corbelled and crenellated parapet. Entrance porch has plain boarded door with chamfered margins and blank oculus above in crowstepped gable with bracketted skewputts; bipartite sash and case windows with chamfered stone mullions and margins at left and right returns.

FILTER BEDS (1906): 3 large rectangular-plan filter beds built of red and grey brick; narrow gauge railway line adjoining.

GATEPIER AND BOUNDARY WALL (1907): pyramidal-capped, bull-faced ashlar gatepier with round-coped ashlar wall adjoining and further similar pier; rubble boundary wall.

Statement of Interest

The clear water well and filter beds formed part of the aqueduct system from Monikie to Stobbs Muir constructed by the Dundee Water Company which had been formed in 1845 to provide an adequate water supply for the expanding population of Dundee. The plant is no longer used. There are associated aqueducts listed in Murroes parish at Gagie Lodge, Burnside of Duntrune and Little Gagie Farm (Wellbank). There is an unlisted aqueduct in a field to the north east (North Bank Farm), a low structure completely encased in a walled grassed-over mound known locally as ?the boat?.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.