This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5238 / 56°31'25"N
Longitude: -2.8868 / 2°53'12"W
OS Eastings: 345539
OS Northings: 737216
OS Grid: NO455372
Mapcode National: GBR VM.CZB2
Mapcode Global: WH7R5.M9J3
Plus Code: 9C8VG4F7+G7
Entry Name: Gagie Well Tower
Listing Name: Gagie, Gagie Filters, Gagie Well, Including Filter Beds, Gatepier and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 December 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353234
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18998
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Traditional County: Angus
James Leslie, engineer, 1848, substantial, circular-plan well tower, rebuilt and extended to include filter beds and boundary wall by George Baxter, engineer, 1906-7, with architectural detail by brother David Baxter.
WELL (1848, REBUILT 1906): single storey, circular-plan wellhead with projecting entrance porch. Lightly stugged sandstone courses, grey slate roof. Moulded base course, 2 multi-pane timber-framed top-hopper windows, massive corbelled and crenellated parapet. Entrance porch has plain boarded door with chamfered margins and blank oculus above in crowstepped gable with bracketted skewputts; bipartite sash and case windows with chamfered stone mullions and margins at left and right returns.
FILTER BEDS (1906): 3 large rectangular-plan filter beds built of red and grey brick; narrow gauge railway line adjoining.
GATEPIER AND BOUNDARY WALL (1907): pyramidal-capped, bull-faced ashlar gatepier with round-coped ashlar wall adjoining and further similar pier; rubble boundary wall.
The clear water well and filter beds formed part of the aqueduct system from Monikie to Stobbs Muir constructed by the Dundee Water Company which had been formed in 1845 to provide an adequate water supply for the expanding population of Dundee. The plant is no longer used. There are associated aqueducts listed in Murroes parish at Gagie Lodge, Burnside of Duntrune and Little Gagie Farm (Wellbank). There is an unlisted aqueduct in a field to the north east (North Bank Farm), a low structure completely encased in a walled grassed-over mound known locally as ?the boat?.
Other nearby listed buildings