This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5161 / 56°30'57"N
Longitude: -2.9048 / 2°54'17"W
OS Eastings: 344418
OS Northings: 736371
OS Grid: NO444363
Mapcode National: GBR VM.DF6X
Mapcode Global: WH7R5.BHZ1
Plus Code: 9C8VG38W+C3
Entry Name: Murroes Primary School, Murroes
Listing Name: Murroes, Murroes Primary School, Including Play Sheds, Detached Classroom and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 December 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353252
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19015
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Traditional County: Angus
Mr Salmond, Dundee, 1875-6. Single storey, rectangular-plan, 5-bay school, extended slightly later in similar style to form 10-bay, near-symmetrical school, later bays to E and W. Rubble construction, stugged and margined ashlar dressings, slate roof; rendered and lined later bays. Single bi- and tripartite windows with chamfered cills, 12-lying-pane top-hopper glazing, some with casements below. Decorative bargeboards, exposed tiles and posts at gables with decorative cast-iron finials.
S ELEVATION: original 5 bays to centre; symmetrical, slightly advanced gable to centre with tripartite window, single and bipartite windows to left and right. Addition to left; slightly advanced gable to centre with tripartite windows, boarded door with fanlight to right, single window to left. Slightly lower and recessed entrance porches to far left and right, each with boarded door and astragalled fanlight. Later, slightly lower and recessed bays to outer left and right, each with 2 windows; window to left return gable.
E GABLE: 2 windows, bipartite to flat-roofed bay to right.
N ELEVATION: original building to left, gabled entrance porch to centre with boarded door, 2 windows to left, window to right, later heating chamber advanced to far right; addition to right, door to centre,
2 windows to left and right.
INTERIOR: not seen.
DETACHED CLASSROOM AND PLAYSHEDS: single storey detached classroom to N, snecked rubble, piended slate roof; door to centre flanked by bipartite windows, ridge ventilator. Playshed to W, snecked and random rubble, piended slate roof; door, 2 windows, 3-bay play area with flagstone paving and 2 cast-iron columns. Playshed to E, 3-bay play area, 2 and 2 cast-iron columns. Playshed to E, 3-bay play area, 2 steel columns. N wall of these buildings form N boundary wall.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble boundary wall to N, and partly to S, E and W.
The school is prominently situated at a crossroads opposite the war memorial at the centre of the parish, and is an example of an early school board building, opened 12 June 1876. The architect mentioned in the School Board Minutes is either David Salmond of Isles Lane, or
J and F Salmond of 6 High Street, Dundee.
There is an earlier 20th century detached classroom in the south west corner of the playground, L-plan with porch in re-entrant, stone effect block on brick base, with metal windows and slate roof.
Other nearby listed buildings