This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4998 / 56°29'59"N
Longitude: -2.9417 / 2°56'30"W
OS Eastings: 342127
OS Northings: 734592
OS Grid: NO421345
Mapcode National: GBR VL.6JN5
Mapcode Global: WH7R4.SWDJ
Entry Name: Powrie, Powrie Castle
Listing Date: 11 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353257
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19019
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Traditional County: Angus
Dated 1604, with later work and alterations. 2-storey, fortified house, rectangular-plan with round tower at NW and entrance tower at S. Pink and buff rubble sandstone, stone slate roof, piended to entrance tower, conical to round tower. Rough hewn quoins, chamfered margins and reveals, some eroded Renaissance detailing at porch; stained timber window frames with solid casements at bottom (leaded lattice-glazed casements inside), fixed leaded glazing at top; finialled gable dormerheaded windows added later; moulded wallhead course at round tower; flat coped skews; substantial gable stacks with chamfered coping (thackstane at W), 2 shouldered wallhead stacks at N.
S ELEVATION: 2-storey, rectangular-plan former entrance tower at 3rd bay from left; window at 1st floor with remains of turned architraves, entrance to store at ground floor right return with relieving arch, corbelled 1st floor with window and weathered pilastered architraves, entrance to store at ground floor right return, blocked former entrance at 1st floor with moulded doorcase. 2 bays to main elevation left; door at ground floor right, 2 windows at 1st. Main elevation right; bipartite and single window, 2 doors at right, bipartite at far right (each with relieving arches), narrow window at outer right, 3 windows at 1st floor with sculpted lintels, blocked doorway at right, glazed arrow slit windows at right of central window and at outer right.
E GABLE: plain, but evidence of buildings having once abutted it and possible further opening; small window at 1st floor right to slightly advanced bay.
N ELEVATION: slop stone drain at ground floor left, 2 small windows at centre, arrow slit window at 1st floor right, 2 substantial off-set wallhead stacks.
W GABLE: round tower at left, 3 windows with small shot-holes beneath regularly placed at 1st floor, arrow slit window and out of character modern rooflight at left return; bipartite window at ground floor of main elevation right, window at 1st floor formerly with pedimented lintel.
INTERIOR: barrel-vaulted room with bread oven in base of round tower; newel staircase; former kitchen has massive segmental-arched chimneypiece and beamed ceiling; 1st floor rooms have barrel vaulted timber ceilings and plain stone chimneypieces.
The N range of Powrie Castle was built for Thomas Fothringham and his wife Barbara Scott, the lintel at the 1st floor right window is dated 1604. The lintel to the left has sculpted twin animals and at the far left a geometric pattern. The principal entrance was formerly to the now blocked door at the 1st floor of the entrance tower; there may also have been a connecting wooden gallery to the other 1st floor entrances at the outer right. The building was restored in 1978-81 by D C Leslie of Leslie Castle, Aberdeen, for Mr and Mrs Peter Clarke; a notable feature of the rstoration was the reinstatement of the gable dormerheads. See also NOTES for Old Powrie Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings