This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9622 / 55°57'44"N
Longitude: -2.92 / 2°55'12"W
OS Eastings: 342662
OS Northings: 674740
OS Grid: NT426747
Mapcode National: GBR 2L.X9YJ
Mapcode Global: WH7TW.3DSM
Plus Code: 9C7VX36H+VX
Entry Name: St Germains
Listing Name: St Germains House
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353336
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19075
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Preston, Seton and Gosford
Traditional County: East Lothian
Classical country house with 3 distinct building phases: earlier 18th century, rectangular-plan 3-storey house given sizeable addition to N in late 18th century in New town classical vein, making L-plan, and made rectangular-plan by additions at rear circa 1820. Further additions and alterations by Dick Peddie, 1911; subdivided circa 1950. 3-storey mansion resulting with 2-storey service additions to W. Cream sandstone rubble to earlier 18th century and circa 1820 work, harled, with ashlar dressings; late 18th century work in cream sandstone ashlar, harled at W side, coursed rubble to E.
EARLIER 18TH CENTURY HOUSE: sited at rear of present mansion and surrounded by later work. 5 narrow bays grouped towards centre on S elevation; corniced and pilastered doorpiece with French door to outer right, 3 architraved windows to centre and left at ground. 3 tall 1st floor windows enlarged and given consoled cornice and brakceted cills circa 1820. 5 2nd floor windows under eaves; 2 piend-roofed slate hung dormers, 1911, to steep piend roof.
LATE 18TH CENTURY HOUSE: rectangular plan, 3-storey, 7-bay classical house with rusticated ground floor, architraved windows at 1st and 2nd floor, with cornices and cill course at 1st; base course and cornice. N elevation with 3 centre bays under pediment with apex stack and urn finials; tripartite doorway at centre, Doric columned and corniced; sunray fanlight; flush panelled door. Regular fenestration in remaining bays, smaller at 2nd floor. 2-bay E elevation. CIRCA 1820 ADDITIONS: set in re-entrant angle of 2 earlier sections, comprised of wide, full-height canted bay and further bay to left on S elevation, 2 bays to E elevation continuous with late 18th century bays. Architraved windows to S, tall with consoled cornice to ground and 1st floor of canted bay. 2-storey 2-bay piend-roofed 19th century service addition adjoined to W elevation with single storey lean-to to N. Further service additions to W.
12-pane glazing pattern predominating, some plate glass, in sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced end stacks.
INTERIOR: subdivided circa 1950, some original work retained; cantilevered scale and platt stiar in entrance hall, simple wrought-iron balustrade; decorative geometric tiles to hall. Adamesque pasterwork over stairwell. Circular room to 2nd floor with classical chimneypiece (McWilliam).
The house developed on the site of the Bethlehemite Hospital of St Germains. Small describes the house as erected about the end of the 18th century by David Anderson Esq, former secretary to Warren Hastings, Governor of India. The classical work of this period bears similarities with the terraces of the First New Town, such as James Craig designed.
B Group with the dovecot, Cottage and Coach House which are listed separately.