History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ordiquhill School and Schoolhouse

A Category C Listed Building in Ordiquhill, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.598 / 57°35'52"N

Longitude: -2.7275 / 2°43'38"W

OS Eastings: 356615

OS Northings: 856679

OS Grid: NJ566566

Mapcode National: GBR M8MM.WTP

Mapcode Global: WH7L1.29G3

Entry Name: Ordiquhill School and Schoolhouse

Listing Date: 4 March 1994

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 353993

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19596

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ordiquhill

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Banff and District

Parish: Ordiquhill

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Fordyce

Description

School dated 1850. Schoolhouse to SW slightly later, possibly A and W Reid, Elgin. Heavily pointed squared and coursed whinstone rubble, droved ashlar dressings, mullions. Bracketed cornice to major openings.

SCHOOL: single-storey, 4-bay; much-altered and extended (latter not included in listing). Projecting, gabled porch with ball finial to 2nd bay; window with date plaque above, door in re-entrant angle. 20th century ranges behind. Later, enlarged sash and case windows with 4-pane glazing pattern. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews, bracket skewputts.

SCHOOLHOUSE: mid to later 19th century 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan house.

NW ELEVATION: large, gabled stone porch with finial projecting at centre; window to road with arrow slit opening above, door on right return. Windows flanking at ground, 2 windows at 1st floor breaking eaves in gabled dormerheads, with blind arrow slits and ball finials.

Single storey service wing with modern harled addition and conservatory at rear.

Sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews with moulded skewputts. Corniced ashlar, paired diamond end stacks.

Statement of Interest

Only the 1850, original block of the school is included in the current listing. Barclay documents the parochial school's departure from premises in Cornhill as 1860, which is inconsistent with the 1850 date plaque on the building. The new building was probably financed by

Mr Gordon of Park.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.