This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5178 / 55°31'4"N
Longitude: -2.3628 / 2°21'45"W
OS Eastings: 377191
OS Northings: 624955
OS Grid: NT771249
Mapcode National: GBR C4YM.8V
Mapcode Global: WH8YD.PK2T
Plus Code: 9C7VGJ9P+4V
Entry Name: Wellgate (former manse), Main Street, Morebattle
Listing Name: Wellgate Including Outbuildings and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 7 November 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354141
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19732
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Kelso and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
John Winchester mason and William Clark joiner, 1828-29, with canted-window additions, 1852. 2-storey and basement, 3-bay, rectangular plan, astylar Classical house with piended roof. Harled and washed with droved ashlar dressings; canted windows of dark whinstone (now painted) with exposed droved ashlar dressings. Eaves course; raised margins and quoin strips. Regular fenestration to front and rear. 5 steps to timber-panelled front door in plain ashlar architrave, canted windows to ground floor of rear elevation rising from canted bases at basement level.
12-, 6-, and 4- pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Ashlar ridge stacks with yellow clay cans. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: hall with curved cantilevered stone staircase supported on contemporary iron column; decorative cast-iron balusters with timber rail rising in front of central rear window. Drawing room and dining room retain original marble chimneypieces, dadoes and cornices. Most other rooms retain original chimneypieces. Original stone chimneypiece with flanking recesses in basement kitchen. Six-panelled doors throughout.
OUT BUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble outbuildings at NW corner of site linked to front elevation by curving stone wall with doorway to garden. Rubble boundary wall with cope. Gatepiers with squat pyramidal caps of dressed ashlar.
A well proportioned and little-altered former manse, forming a good group with its linked out-building and boundary walls. The quality of the interior is also good, particularly the fine curved cantilevered stair. The house is set back from the line of the road, adjacent to the Parish Church on sloping ground. As yet no architect has been identified for the unusual double height bays added on rear elevation in 1852.
Other nearby listed buildings