This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.195 / 57°11'41"N
Longitude: -3.1148 / 3°6'53"W
OS Eastings: 332731
OS Northings: 812127
OS Grid: NJ327121
Mapcode National: GBR WC.0LPN
Mapcode Global: WH6LN.4F13
Plus Code: 9C9R5VVP+X3
Entry Name: Edinglassie House
Listing Name: Glen Ernan, Edinglassie House Including Ancillary Structures
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354198
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19784
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
18th century, extended to E later 18th century, remodelled early 19th century, extended to W and again to E circa 1850. Original symmetrical 2-storey with attic, 5-bay, U-plan house; later lower 2-storey, 3-bay wing with crenellated canted window to E; circa 1850 broad gabled bay to E and full-height canted bay with gablet head to centre window at W; focal point of Edinglassie Estate in Glen Ernan, retaining much good interior detail, still used as hunting lodge. Red granite rubble, snecked and squared, harled to N and W; rubble and ashlar margins and quoins; raised granite ashlar door margin. Piended and polygonal dormerheads, stone-pedimented window heads breaking eaves at E. Chamfered arrises to later bays.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance elevation to S. Original house with part-glazed 2-leaf centre door below decorative fanlight, window at left altered to bipartite. Original house with piended dormer windows to E elevations of projecting gables, piend-roofed outshot and later canted dormers to N.
6- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped rubble and ashlar stacks, some thackstanes, polygonal cans. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts. Cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place. Moulded cornices, hallways with segmental-headed arches on decorative plasterwork brackets, panelled timber shutters and dado rails, and cast iron radiators. Variety of fireplaces including plain granite, marble and timber, some with cast iron grates and overmantels. Bathrooms with early fittings and timber boarded dadoes. Panelled gunroom. 2 attic bedrooms with 6-panelled doors.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURES: early single storey, long 2-bay ancillary immediately to E, running E-W. Dry-dash, good grey slates and stack with thackstane, roof piended to E and jerkin head to W. Further ancillary (game larder and office) to NE, incorporating 3 earlier piended bays (game larder) to E and symmetrical 3-bay range with centre door at W.
Group with Gate Lodges, Keepers Cottage, Stable and Garage Block, and Walled Garden. Edinglassie House, a reduced version of the circa 1700 Skellater House, is now used as a hunting lodge with some 15 bedrooms. The attractive rambling house is protected from behind by the Ladder Hills and overlooks a large lawn sweeping down to the Ernan Water, it is sited between a very fine walled garden to the west and equally fine estate buildings to the east. The entrance is marked by a pair of gate lodges flanking impressive decorative ironwork gates. Formerly owned by the Tennant family, the estate was purchased in 1956 by Viscount Cowdray and prior to that belonged to the Forbes family. Sir Charles Forbes of Newe and Edinglassie was an active reforming farmer, and a report in the New Statistical Account tells of an experiment about 10 years ago Sir Charles Forbes sent two varieties of the Zebu (Bos Indicus) to Edinglassie. The first were extremely diminutive, appeared to suffer much from the severity of the climate, and did not breed. The other was a large variety, and bred readily with the common bull of the country. Two half-bred bulls were kept that grew to great size and weight. They became so furious that it was found necessary to destroy them. Edinglassie is mentioned in the Statistical Account as part of the detached portion of Tarland parish, positioned about an English mile above the parish of Strathdon which extends five or six to the westward, on the north side of the river Don. The land included the estates of Skellater, Inverernan and Candacraig all owned by heritors of Strathdon parish, and Edinglassie owned by Mr Houston.
Category changed from B to C(S) in 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings