This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.195 / 57°11'41"N
Longitude: -3.1132 / 3°6'47"W
OS Eastings: 332830
OS Northings: 812123
OS Grid: NJ328121
Mapcode National: GBR WC.0M1X
Mapcode Global: WH6LN.4FT3
Plus Code: 9C9R5VVP+XP
Entry Name: Garage Block, Edinglassie House Policies
Listing Name: Glen Ernan, Edinglassie House Policies, Stable and Garage Block
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399147
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50633
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 20th century and earlier to mid 20th century. Tall 2 storey, 5-bay stable range and garage block of some quality, sited to E of Edinglassie House. Both ranges symmetrical above ground with centre gables incorporating segmental-headed windows. Base and eaves courses, latter extending across gables and windowheads to form continuous hoodmoulds. Harl with ashlar margins and quoin strips. Segmental headed windows to gables, shallow horizontal windows to 1st floor; boarded timber doors, those to former stable with 5-part vertically-astragalled fanlights.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance elevations facing, that to stable (S elevation of N range) with slightly advanced centre gable comprising door at left and horizontal window at right, window to centre of gablehead above, flanking bays each with door at left, window to right and 2 windows above. Garage block (N elevation of S range) with 6 broad garage doors at ground, window to centre gable and regular fenestration to flanking bays at 1st floor.
6-, 8- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar gablehead stacks. Ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts. Cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: stable retains timber loose box dividers.
Group with Edinglassie House, Gate Lodges, Keeper's Cottage, and Walled Garden. Formerly included in the listing with Edinglassie House, the stable and garage ranges are well-detailed and well-preserved. Although dating from the 20th century, the stable and garage block exhibit the classical formality found in much earlier stable buildings. Edinglassie Estate was purchased in 1956 by Viscount Cowdray from the Tennant family; it formerly belonged to the family of Forbes of Newe and Edinglassie.
Other nearby listed buildings