This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5586 / 57°33'31"N
Longitude: -2.6326 / 2°37'57"W
OS Eastings: 362245
OS Northings: 852235
OS Grid: NJ622522
Mapcode National: GBR M8VR.BNX
Mapcode Global: WH8MD.J8LT
Plus Code: 9C9VH958+FX
Entry Name: St Marnan's Episcopal Church, Aberchirder
Listing Name: St Marnan's Episcopal Chapel with School, Retaining Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354348
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19922
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Banff and District
Traditional County: Banffshire
1824-6; interior recast 1876 by A Ross, Inverness. Single-storey, rectangular-plan chapel on rising ground, with free-standing single storey former school to NE. Squared and coursed stugged granite, ashlar dressings. Plate tracery.
CHAPEL, N ELEVATION: later, gabled porch to N, probably 1876; trefoil-headed bipartite to N, round-arched doorway to W re-entrant angle with chamfered reveals and 2-leaf boarded door with decorative iron-work hinges. Rose window (wheel tracery) to gable above porch, ashlar birdcage bellcote with ogee stone roof, 2-bulb stone finial and bell, possibly re-used.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: 3 tall round-headed windows to E with plate tracery. 2 windows to W; centre window blocked, lean-to vestry to right.
S ELEVATION: circa 1895, large round-headed, 3-light window.
Door to vestry at left. Diamond, lead-pane glazing.
Grey slates, ashlar coped skews, cross-finial to S gable. Coped
stack to vestry.
INTERIOR: remodelled 1876 by Alexander Ross. Whitewashed walls, coffered, wooden pitched roof. Pre-Raphaelite School stained glass in S window signed Jones and Willis 1895/6; Crucifixion and Resurrection, as memorial to Rev G Boyes.
SCHOOL: 1877, to NE, built into churchyard walls. Single storey, 3-bay, with later, slightly lower single bay addition to S. Random rubble, enlarged windows. Rendered porch projecting to W. 2 windows to E, 1 window to N gable. Later, multi-pane casement and pivot windows. Grey slates, coped skews with small finials, beak skewputts.
RETAINING WALL: random rubble, rubble coped with ashlar, dome-capped gatepiers to N; simple wrought-iron gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Alexander Ross was known to the Episcopal Church for his unsuccessful competition design for St Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh circa 1874, and worked for them again building the church at Fort William, 1880.
The School Board of Marnoch reported the Episcopal School as being in a bad state in 1873; the present building does not appear on the 1871-4 Map, and was erected in 1877 with accommodation for 99 children (Barclay).
Other nearby listed buildings