This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1463 / 57°8'46"N
Longitude: -2.0934 / 2°5'36"W
OS Eastings: 394445
OS Northings: 806165
OS Grid: NJ944061
Mapcode National: GBR SD3.WX
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TM9X
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW4+GJ
Entry Name: Harbour Offices, 15-16 Regent Quay, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 14, 15 and 16 Regent Quay, Harbour Offices
Listing Date: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354427
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19986
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A. Marshall Mackenzie, 1883-5. Asymmetrical, 4-storey, classical Harbour Offices on prominent corner site with 2-stage square-plan clock tower with stone dome, centrally placed on flat roof. Grey granite ashlar to principal elevations (E and N) and tower, coursed pink granite to rear. Some raised granite margins. Slightly advanced, tetrastyle, partially fluted, Ionic pilastered pedimented sections rising from 1st storey on E and N façades, both asymmetrically placed. Round arched openings to ground with decorative carved keystone details. Base course. Cill courses to 1st and 3rd storeys. Blocking course.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows to E façade. 2-pane plate-glass windows to ground with circular motif to upper lights. Non-traditional windows to other elevations. Low, broad wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: comprehensively modernised (2006).
This is a landmark building in Aberdeen, not only as an example of the renowned A. Marshall Mackenzie's work, but also because it was constructed for the Harbour Board, one of Aberdeen's principal industries on the late nineteenth century. The tall clock tower is unusually located within the centre of the flat roof and, coupled with the building's prominent corner location ensured that the Harbour Offices would dominate the Harbour area. The building has some fine classical detailing, especially in the tower and ground floor arches. The pedimented sections are placed asymmetrically on the building as this was a building to be viewed primarily from the harbour entry into Aberdeen. Built as new Harbour Board Offices, it signifies the prosperity that the Harbour was enjoying at the end of the nineteenth century.
Aberdeen Harbour is reputed to be Britain's oldest business, having been trading continuously since 1136, when King David granted the Bishops of Aberdeen the right to levy a tithe on all ships trading at the port. During the succeeding centuries, the Harbour increased its international trade with record levels following the Union of Parliaments in 1707. The advent of steam in the 1880s brought more significant developments to the Harbour and this Office building dates from that period of expansion.
A. Marshall Mackenzie (1848-1933) was a Scottish architect of national repute. Born in Elgin, he was part of a architect dynasty. Although mainly associated with building in the North-East of Scotland, he also received the prestige of a Royal Commission in 1895 when asked to build the new Mar Lodge outside Braemar for Queen Victoria's grand-daughter, the Duchess of Fife. His output includes many significant public buildings in Aberdeen including Marischal College (1906). (See separate listing.)
Other nearby listed buildings