This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1472 / 57°8'49"N
Longitude: -2.1024 / 2°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 393903
OS Northings: 806263
OS Grid: NJ939062
Mapcode National: GBR SBV.DD
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.PM27
Plus Code: 9C9V4VWX+V2
Entry Name: Trades Hall, 51 Belmont Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 49 and 51 Belmont Street, the Belmont Picturehouse (Former Trades Council Hall)
Listing Date: 24 April 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354641
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20132
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Alexander Ellis and Robert Gordon Wilson, dated 1896. Tall, substantial hall building designed to be viewed principally from Union Terrace and Roseburn Viaduct. Diminutive single bay grey granite ashlar entrance at 51 Belmont Street: pilastered and keystoned arch with scrolled segmental panel dated 1896 over parapet. Arch leads to 6-bay main hall: squared grey granite rubble with tooled dressings; 6 round-headed openings to upper hall N and S elevations. W ELEVATION: Venetian window at upper level; shouldered wallhead stack above flanked by corbelled, domed and finialed bartizans at western angles. Staggered staircase descends length of N elevation.
Predominantly blacked-out windows; grey slate, piended roof to main hall.
INTERIOR: Originally 2 principal storeys, the main hall is now converted to a cinema and divided horizontally at gallery level; retains some plasterwork.
Situated directly to the rear of 47 Belmont Street, the diminutive entrance at Belmont Street gives little hint of the large and impressive former Trades Hall to which it leads. Making full use of the different levels of the site, local architects Ellis and Wilson designed an impressive hall which adds significantly to the streetscape of Roseburn Viaduct. Tall and narrow with clasping bartizan towers, it is a distinctive piece of architecture.
Designed for the Trades Council, it was used principally for meetings of Aberdeen's newly established Labour Movement. The ceiling of the main hall originally had painted panels, possibly still in existence under later paint. Belmont Street was open pasture running alongside the Denburn until the 1770's from which point it was feued for building and quickly developed with a variety of uses and styles in evidence to this day.
Other nearby listed buildings