This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1485 / 57°8'54"N
Longitude: -2.0929 / 2°5'34"W
OS Eastings: 394474
OS Northings: 806400
OS Grid: NJ944064
Mapcode National: GBR SD6.0X
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TLJ8
Entry Name: 9, 10 and 11 Castle Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354770
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20163
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 19th century. 3-storey and attic 3-bay Classical tenement with shop to ground. Grey granite ashlar, rubble to rear. Timber fascia to shop front. Moulded eaves course. Pair of canted piended dormers. Late 20th century single storey extension to rear.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys, plate glass to ground. Grey slates, coped gable stacks, raised skews.
This is a good example of an early Classical tenement and it forms a significant part of the streetscape of the Castlegate. The simple Classical style is typical of granite buildings of this period before sophisticated cutting techniques were developed. A photograph of around 1880 shows the building with its shop front comprising 3 plate glass openings with an off-centre door as it does today (2006). The building is situated on the North side of Castle Street where the buildings date predominately from the early or mid 19th century. Entry to no 9 is from Bremner's Court.
Castle Street (or Castlegate) is considered by many to be the heart of Aberdeen city centre. It has been the site of the main market place since the 12th century. It contains a 17th century Mercat Cross (a Scheduled Ancient Monument). The central rectangular area has, through the centuries, been bounded by a succession of different buildings, predominantly private houses and commercial premises. The Tolbooth was built here in the 17th century. The earlier buildings were replaced from the 19th century onwards using the existing footprint, and therefore the important large central space which continues to form a focal point for the city was retained.
Part of B Group with Nos 1-7 Justice Street, Nos 9-23, 31-35, 40-48, 51 and 52 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, and Salvation Army Citadel.
Other nearby listed buildings