This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1493 / 57°8'57"N
Longitude: -2.0934 / 2°5'36"W
OS Eastings: 394447
OS Northings: 806492
OS Grid: NJ944064
Mapcode National: GBR SD3.VV
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TKBN
Entry Name: 36-48 (Even Nos) King Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355209
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20400
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Possilby John Smith, earlier 19th century. 3-storey and attic 9-bay tenement building with round-arched openings to ground. Grey granite ashlar, rubble to rear. Band course above ground floor, cill courses, eaves cornice. Piended dormers. 6-panel timber entrance doors with astragalled fanlights above. Round arched stair windows to rear.
Predominately 12- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Multi-pane glazing pattern to ground. Coped gable stacks.
This row of tenement buildings with its restrained, classical style forms an essential component of the planned streetscape of King Street. The classical style was to dominate the planned early nineteenth century city of Aberdeen and this is a good example of the genre. This is a particularly good example as the round arched openings to the ground floor have been retained and many of them have a traditional multi-pane glazing pattern. The bold town planning which created Union Street and King Street was the defining gesture which allowed Aberdeen to develop from a contained medieval burgh to a modern rational city.
King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street. A competition for designs for this new street brought forward a design from Thomas Fletcher. This was to be a long classical façade, with a pedimented centrepiece and higher end blocks. This design was begun on the East side in 1805, with the creation of nos 8-10 (see separate listing). The idea of a standard, uniform terrace, however, was abandoned when negotiations had to be entered into with owners regarding the length of the frontages and the heights of the buildings. It was then decided to allow some variations between designs, whilst keeping to the essential classical style. The result is a street which shows the character of diversity within uniformity.
Part of B Group with 5 Castle Street, Nos 1-56 (inclusive nos) King Street and St Andrews Episcopal Cathedral.
Other nearby listed buildings