History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

23, 25, 27 Marischal Street, Aberdeen

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.1474 / 57°8'50"N

Longitude: -2.0928 / 2°5'33"W

OS Eastings: 394485

OS Northings: 806288

OS Grid: NJ944062

Mapcode National: GBR SD6.RJ

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TMM1

Plus Code: 9C9V4WW4+XV

Entry Name: 23, 25, 27 Marischal Street, Aberdeen

Listing Name: 23-27 (Odd Nos) Marischal Street

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 355250

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20426

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in


Later 18th century (see Notes). 3-storey with attic; 5-bay classical townhouse on sloping site, constituting part of a significant run. Loanhead granite ashlar with alternating lighter granite dressings and raised lugged margins at 2nd floor; moulded eaves course. Moulded architrave to central double-leaf timber door; further timber door (No 23) at far left. 3 pedimented dormers to steeply pitched roof.

12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper floors, 8-pane to ground floor. Grey slates; ashlar coped skew at right gable; coped ridge stack with granite ashlar to street and red brick to rear; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Irregular glazing pattern and canted dormers to rear.

INTERIOR: Multiple occupancy (not seen 2006).

Statement of Interest

Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of considerable historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. The simple classical styling of Nos 23-27 forms a significant part of the Street's lengthy run, contributing to its refined character. The building was constructed at some point between 1767, when plans for the street were laid out, and 1789, when Alexander Milnes' map showed that the North end of the street was completed by that date.

Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-38 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.

The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its refinement and original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.

Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.