This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1466 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.0908 / 2°5'26"W
OS Eastings: 394605
OS Northings: 806188
OS Grid: NJ946061
Mapcode National: GBR SDH.CY
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VMKR
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW5+JM
Entry Name: Stanley Hotel, 39, 40 Regent Quay, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 39 and 40 Regent Quay
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355292
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20462
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay commercial and residential building with later alterations including recessed Roman-Doric columned doorpieces. Grey granite ashlar with raised margins. Moulded eaves cornice. Wide, gated pend to left bay; 2-leaf doorways flank fixed-pane non-traditional astragalled wndow to right. Pair of later, piended roof dormers.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Broad, harled gable stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Regent Quay faces the harbour and is a critical part of Aberdeen's commercial history. Developed in the late 18th century, Regent Quay consists of a terraced run of refined architecture of the late 18th and early 19th century, of which Nos 46 and 47 form a key integral part with unusual door-pieces contributing to the character. The doorpiece to the far right bay was added after 1984, replacing a window matching the one to the immediate left. The buildings are mostly of a simple Classical style with good proportions and refined detail. The pend to the left is a traditional feature and is employed elsewhere along Regent Quay's lengthy run, providing access to the rear of the building.
The harbour at Aberdeen accounts for the city's prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1828 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840's.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings