This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1466 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.0905 / 2°5'25"W
OS Eastings: 394620
OS Northings: 806189
OS Grid: NJ946061
Mapcode National: GBR SDJ.TG
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VMPQ
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW5+JQ
Entry Name: 41-42 Regent Quay, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 41 and 42 Regent Quay
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355293
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20463
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay residential building. Grey granite ashlar with raised margins; moulded cornice; mansard roof with evenly spaced flat-roofed dormers. S ELEVATION: Central timber doorpiece with 4-panel timber door flanked by part-glazed sidelights. Above, dentilled rectangular fanlight with 5-light oval glazing. Wide, segmental arch pend with cast-iron gate to outer left leads to rear courtyard.
N (rear) ELEVATION: Central, 3-storey piended bay breaks eaves. door reached by steps to ground; large, round-arched openings to 1st and attic levels with y-tracery glazing. Irregular fenestration elsewhere; box dormers flank piended gable.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Broad, brick gable end stacks with ashlar to street elevation; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
An early example of a residential building at Regent Quay, notable for its refined detailing. Of particular note is the decorative timber doorpiece with its distinctive fanlight composed of oval panels and the piended bay to the rear has fine y-tracery glazing, a feature not found elsewhere on Regent Quay. The building looks out over the harbour and offers a significant contribution to Regent Quay's refined and varied late 18th and early 19th century run. Converted to flats in late 20th century.
The harbour at Aberdeen accounts for the city's prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1810 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840's.
Other nearby listed buildings