This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1466 / 57°8'47"N
Longitude: -2.0904 / 2°5'25"W
OS Eastings: 394630
OS Northings: 806192
OS Grid: NJ946061
Mapcode National: GBR SDK.JQ
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VMRQ
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW5+JV
Entry Name: Glenliver Bar, 44-45 Regent Quay, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 43, 44 and 45 Regent Quay
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355294
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20464
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Later 18th century. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay Classical commercial and residential building with fine balustraded cills, moulded margins and cornicing at 1st floor openings. Grey granite ashlar with raised margins at 2nd floor. Later public house frontage to ground with polished ashlar verticals and stall risers, fixed-pane glazing pattern and door to far left. Later 3-light mansarded attic dormer.
12-pane timber sash and case windows; grey slate; Brick gable end stacks; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
An early example of a commercial building at Regent Quay, notable for its interesting Classical detailing at 1st floor. Ornamentation such as the balustrading and cornicing is rare on these early buildings which are characterised by their simplicity and carefully planned proportions. As such, these details may have been added at a slightly later date. The ground floor has a long history serving as a watering hole for sailors, although the present Public House has a non-traditional exterior. The building looks out over the harbour and offers a significant contribution to Regent Quay's refined and varied late 18th and early 19th century run.
The harbour at Aberdeen accounts for the city's prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1810 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840's.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings