This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1484 / 57°8'54"N
Longitude: -2.0899 / 2°5'23"W
OS Eastings: 394661
OS Northings: 806390
OS Grid: NJ946063
Mapcode National: GBR SDM.NV
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.WL0B
Plus Code: 9C9V4WX6+83
Entry Name: Cromwell's Bastion, Castlehill, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Castle Hill, Cromwellian Fort Bastion
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355593
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20604
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1651-2. Surviving fragments of Cromwellian fort. 4-sided bastion to SE with adjoining straight wall sections to E and S. Rubble with large boulders with later flat coping stones; roughly dressed quoins to bastion angles. Situated to the East of Castle Street on Castle Hill, in prominent position overlooking the Harbour to the S. Late 20th century embankment and concrete pavement to N and W.
These are the only significant surviving architectural remains of the occupation of Aberdeen by Cromwell's troops. Originally a roughly square-plan fort consisting of earth and stone walls and bastions, it was erected with stones taken from St Machar's Cathedral in Old Aberdeen (see separate listing), and enclosed a small chapel called St Ninian's. The surviving section is the South East corner of the fort. The fort seems to have been constructed to provide look-out facilities over the city and Harbour. Occupying the city between 1651 and 1659, Cromwell's troops left in 1659 after George, Duke of Albemarle attacked the fort and the garrison was removed.
The site of the fort was used for an Infantry Barracks in the late 18th century and it is shown as such on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1866. The Barracks were demolished in 1965 and housing has now been built on the site.
References from previous list description: Aberdeen of Old, 1986 Edward Meldrum p35. City of the Grey North Sea, 1965 Fenton Wyness p185-186.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings