This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1322 / 57°7'56"N
Longitude: -2.0985 / 2°5'54"W
OS Eastings: 394137
OS Northings: 804595
OS Grid: NJ941045
Mapcode National: GBR SCD.SY
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QZXQ
Plus Code: 9C9V4WJ2+VJ
Entry Name: Former Engine Shed And Store, Engine Shed, Ferryhill, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Polmuir Avenue, Ferryhill Motive Power Depot, Former Engine Shed
Listing Date: 29 November 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355684
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20617
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
The windows are predominantly small-pane glazing in cast iron frames, some have been replaced and some have broken panes (1990). The roof has grey slates and a lead ridge (missing in places). There are cast iron rainwater goods.
The interior has brick walls and an open ceiling.
Dating from the mid-19th century and progressively enlarged, this former engine shed is one of the few surviving large engine sheds in Scotland. Its interest is enhanced by its setting which includes a very rare early 20th century locomotive turntable (see seperate listing, LB43378) and the remains of a coaling shed.
Ferryhill was Aberdeen's first engine shed, and an article about the opening of the Aberdeen Railway in the 'Illustrated London News' of 20 April 1850 has an engraving showing the original shed and station. Its location was significant, being within the V junction where the famous Deeside line branches off the main line south to Dundee. The depot was built for servicing a pool of locomotives owned by three early Scottish railway companies: Aberdeen Railway, the Scottish Central Railway and the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. It is thought that by the 1860s the Caledonian Railway took over the development of the site but use of the site was shared with the North British Railway. By the 1930s the site was used by the London and North Eastern Railway and latterly became a diesel engine depot for British Rail. The site closed on 26 December 1987.
The original 12-bay engine shed could house two engines. The shed was extended by four bays in 1882 and again by a further four bays in 1907 reaching 230ft in length. There are also numerous smaller additions and alterations. The only other shed of a similarly-large size surviving in the northeast of Scotland is the Great North of Scotland Railway's shed at Elgin (see seperate listing, LB30826), although this has been altered.
Listed building record (non-statutory information) revised in 2018.
Other nearby listed buildings