This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1477 / 57°8'51"N
Longitude: -2.0941 / 2°5'38"W
OS Eastings: 394404
OS Northings: 806316
OS Grid: NJ944063
Mapcode National: GBR SD1.0D
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.SLZV
Plus Code: 9C9V4WX4+39
Entry Name: The Green Fountain, Castle Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: Castle Street, the Mannie or Green Fountain
Listing Date: 8 February 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355821
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20669
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
William Lindsay, circa 1710. Former wellhead (no longer functioning) re-located from East-end of Castle Street, surmounted by small semi-nude male lead figure. Square-plan with ogee cap. Coursed sandstone. Base course, deep cornice. Carved stone Green-man type heads forming spouts at each corner of cap. Small carved lion's head spout and wrought iron lamp bracket to E face. Cast-iron hinged opening to W face.
Situated originally at the East End of Castle Street, this water cistern was the first to provide piped water to the city. It is an important part of the city's engineering and social history and forms a significant part of the streetscape. The well was originally to have a number of gilt figures but the cost of £1,571 proved too much and a single figure, locally know as 'The Mannie' was erected. On special days, the carved heads at the corners spouted water.
The well was fed by springs from Cardensheugh (now Carden Place) to the West of the city, and the water was brought by six lead pipes to the well. Previous to this, the city had been supplied by water from local lochs, burns and ancient wells.
The cistern was moved to The Green in 1852 where a handle on the side of the plinth could be turned to provide spring or river water. The well remained at The Green until 1974 when it was moved to its current position, back in Castle Street.
Other nearby listed buildings