This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1409 / 57°8'27"N
Longitude: -2.0907 / 2°5'26"W
OS Eastings: 394608
OS Northings: 805562
OS Grid: NJ946055
Mapcode National: GBR SDJ.57
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VSL2
Plus Code: 9C9V4WR5+9P
Entry Name: Riverside House, 244 Market Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 244 Market Street and 1 North Esplanade West, Riverside House, Former Tramshed
Listing Date: 27 June 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355831
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20678
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Possibly Arthur Clyne, circa 1905. Single storey, rectangular-plan classical former tramshed on prominent corner site. Coursed grey rough-faced granite finely finished to margins. Pink granite rough-faced base course; moulded lintels to windows; finely finished pink granite pilastered bays; pink granite eaves course and cornice; eaves blocking course.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; large pink granite, stop-chamfered, round-arched tram entrance to centre, hoodmould with decorative paired label stops; flanked to left and right by pilasters supporting simple pediment with pink granite dressings.
NE AND SE ELEVATIONS: obscured by late 20th century additions.
SW ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 6 pilastered bays; regular fenestration, cill of window to outer right dropped to base course. Doorway to bay to outer left, 2-leaf modern door, plaque flanking to right reading "RIVERSIDE HOUSE".
Replacement small-pane glazing. Lead roof. Coped stone skews.
INTERIOR: undergoing alteration (1999).
Aberdeen's tramway network was one of the most progressive and up-to-date in Britain until 1955. 3 tramway companies shared the city's network: Aberdeen District Tramways Co.; Aberdeen Corporation Tramways, which had short lines in the congested streets of the southern suburbs (Duthie Park and Torry); and Aberdeen Suburban Tramways Co. Aberdeen District Tramways established horse lines in 1874, electrified and extended during 1899-1902. This tramshed served the Aberdeen Corporation Tramways Torry line, disused following replacement by municipal motor buses in 1931. According to the Town Council Minutes Arthur Clyne designed a building on South Esplanade West, the use of polychrome granite, decorative label stops and simple monumental detail suggests that this may be the building he designed, but located on the other side of the Dee.
Other nearby listed buildings