This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1428 / 57°8'34"N
Longitude: -2.0929 / 2°5'34"W
OS Eastings: 394476
OS Northings: 805773
OS Grid: NJ944057
Mapcode National: GBR SD6.2Y
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TQKL
Plus Code: 9C9V4WV4+4R
Entry Name: Grimsby Chambers, 168-174 Market Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 168-174 (Even Nos) Market Street, Former Grimsby Chambers
Listing Date: 29 November 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355274
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20449
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Cameron & Watt, 1900. 3-storey and attic, 6 and 3-bay Freestyle commercial building on corner site with shaped and pedimented finialled gables, distinctive ogival roof to corner and diversity of window openings. Pitted grey granite with pink granite base course. Deep cornice over pilastered ground floor. Eaves course. Canted bay, round headed and pedimented windows. Venetian attic windows. Some balustraded balconies and parapets to windows. Pedimented and round-headed dormers.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: asymmetrical elevations. Chamfered corner entrance to SW: 4-leaf panelled timber door with small oval fanlight. Round arched windows at ground to S with 2-light canted bay windows above and panel with 'GRIMSBY CHAMBERS'. To W, 2-leaf timber entrance door to right with oval fanlight and balustraded balcony above. Non-traditional shop windows to ground. Round arches with deeply recessed windows to 2nd storey.
Predominantly 4, 6 and 8-pane over plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Tall corniced wallhead and gable stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods and hoppers.
The former Grimsby Chambers is a distinctive and striking building on a prominent corner site which uses a variety of architectural detailing from diverse architectural styles by a local firm of architects. The building has a wide variety of window openings, including Venetian, round arched and canted bay and these, together with the ogival corner dome, ensure that the building makes a significant contribution to the streetscape.
Cameron & Watt were an Aberdeen-based practice, whose output consisted mainly of smaller, private dwelling houses.
Reference from previous list description: Dean of Guild, 1900.
Other nearby listed buildings