This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1429 / 57°8'34"N
Longitude: -2.0932 / 2°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 394460
OS Northings: 805780
OS Grid: NJ944057
Mapcode National: GBR SD5.CN
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TQFK
Plus Code: 9C9V4WV4+5P
Entry Name: Bank, 162, 164, 166 Market Street, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 162-166 (Even Nos) Market Street
Listing Date: 29 November 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355273
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20448
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Jenkins & Marr, dated 1903. 3-storey and attic 3-bay Edwardian Baroque office building with decorative curvilinear gable, surmounted by chimneystack. Grey granite ashlar; rough hewn to gable. Dividing cornice over ground, dentilled cornice over 2nd storey. Rock-faced pilasters divide bays to ground. Channelled Ionic pilasters divide bays to 1st and 2nd storey. Central decorative pedimented panel in gable with flanking windows.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: street elevation to E. Central segmental arched doorway with flanking aluminium-framed plate glass office fronts with polished granite stall risers. Gently canted 3-light windows to 1st and 2nd storey. Decorative architraves to attic windows. Urn finials to outer left and right.
9-pane over plate glass timber sash and case windows to 1st and 2nd storeys. 12-pane windows to attic. Grey slate mansard roof. Coped gable stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen at time of resurvey (2006).
This well-detailed office building adds significantly to the streetscape of Market Street. 162-166 is a good example of the Edwardian Baroque style, which was often utilised for public buildings erected between the years 1901-1910. It drew on influences from different sources, including French and Dutch architecture, and often contained, as here, rusticated ground floors, Ionic pilasters and stylised attics and gables.
Jenkins & Marr (founded in 1878 and continuing to today) is an Aberdeen-based architectural firm, whose output at the time of this building was concentrated mainly within Aberdeen and the surrounding area. Their work encompassed both small private houses and large public works.
Other nearby listed buildings