This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1437 / 57°8'37"N
Longitude: -2.1348 / 2°8'5"W
OS Eastings: 391942
OS Northings: 805875
OS Grid: NJ919058
Mapcode National: GBR S68.8K
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.5PPY
Plus Code: 9C9V4VV8+F3
Entry Name: 24 Forest Road, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 24 Forest Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355864
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20702
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Arthur Clyne, architect, John Morgan, builder, 1903. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay detached villa. Coursed rough-faced grey granite ashlar, with contrasting light grey finely finished dressings to NE elevation; tooled rubble to remainder. Ground and 1st floor cill courses; dividing band course.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; window to centre of ground floor, blind tablet to 1st floor above; gabled bays flanking to left and right, overhanging eaves, timber bargeboards and queenpost detail to gablehead; 3-light canted window through ground and 1st floors of bay to right, parapet forming balcony to attic floor, tripartite window set in gablehead; depressed-arched doorway with keystone detail, flanked by pilasters with panelled shafts to centre of ground floor, recessed panelled timber door with stained glass fanlights and panels flanking, 3-light canted oriel window corbelled from keystone at 1st floor, parapet forms balcony to tripartite window set in gablehead.
NW ELEVATION: broad gable; stained glass windows to ground and 1st floors at centre, small window flanking to right, single storey wing adjoining to right, doorway to left return.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-bay; rectangular-plan tripartite window advanced to right of ground floor, single window flanking to left, single storey service wing adjoining to outer left; regular fenestration to 1st floor; pair of canted dormers to attic floor.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; M-gabled; doorway to centre of ground floor, flanked to right by 3 single windows; window to centre of 1st floor.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: divided into flats; not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: obelisk granite gatepiers with shallow pyramidal caps to NE, low rough-faced granite walls between; brick and granite coped rubble walls to remainder.
Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 24 Forest Road is part of the later 19th/early 20th century development W of Queen's Cross. Stocket Forest was originally part of the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned Skene Road (which was renamed Queen's Road) and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Arthur Clyne, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 24 Forest Road was originally to be built as a pair with 26 Forest Road (see separate listing) with adjoining service wings to the rear, however 26 Forest Road was built 5 years later, to a different design by William Beattie.
Other nearby listed buildings