This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1413 / 57°8'28"N
Longitude: -2.1334 / 2°8'0"W
OS Eastings: 392024
OS Northings: 805613
OS Grid: NJ920056
Mapcode National: GBR S6G.1G
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.6RBR
Plus Code: 9C9V4VR8+GJ
Entry Name: 25, 27, 29 Queen's Road, Aberdeen
Listing Name: 25, 27 and 29 Queen's Road, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 17 June 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 355882
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20721
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hazlehead/Queens Cross/Countesswells
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
John Rust, 1879; later additions and alterations. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa with Scots baronial details. Tooled coursed grey granite with contrasting light grey dressings, finely finished to margins to NW elevation, granite rubble to remainder. Base course; dividing band course; segmental-arched openings with chamfered reveals; crowstepped gables with stone finials to apexes.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; doorway (to No. 29) to centre bay of ground floor, modern panelled timber door with replacement fanlight, gableted window breaking eaves to 1st floor above; bipartite windows to basement and ground floor of flanking bay to left, gableted window breaking eaves to 1st floor; gabled bay advanced to right, 3-light canted window through basement and ground floors, slate roof with decorative iron brattishing, bipartite window to 1st floor, with relieving arch, small round-arched window set in gablehead.
SW ELEVATION: gabled.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; full height basement; modern doorway to centre of ground floor, flanked to left by window, modern conservatory addition with harled basement adjoining to right, steps curve round addition leading to garden, doorway to 27 Queen's Road to centre of basement floor, under steps; window to centre of 1st floor above; 3-light canted window through basement and 1st floors of bay to left, piended roof; piend-roofed windows breaking eaves to left and right of 1st floor; rectangular dormer and modern skylight to attic.
NE ELEVATION: gabled; asymmetrical; pilastered and pedimented doorway (to 25 Queen's Road) to right of ground floor, modern panelled timber door, flanked to left by oculus; windows to basement and ground floor of bay to left; window to centre of 1st floor.
Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with fishscale band to centre, lead ridge. Stone skews with beaked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with circular and octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: originally single villa, not flatted; staircase removed; some original features survive to ground floor, remainder not seen 2000.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan ashlar gatepiers to NW (shared with adjacent properties), corniced necks and shallow pyramidal caps, coped low tooled granite wall between; granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.
From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 25-29 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as John Rust, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 25-29 Queen's Road was designed for Alexander Johnston, who was a doctor. Noteworthy features include the segmental-arched openings and crowstepped gables. John Rust (City Architect) often designed in the Scots baronial style, which was much favoured in Aberdeen's West End, perhaps following Balmoral (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings