This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.6208 / 56°37'14"N
Longitude: -3.873 / 3°52'22"W
OS Eastings: 285167
OS Northings: 749230
OS Grid: NN851492
Mapcode National: GBR JCT6.SQK
Mapcode Global: WH4LQ.GVY8
Plus Code: 9C8RJ4CG+8R
Entry Name: Black Watch Monument, Taybridge Drive, Aberfeldy
Listing Name: Taybridge Drive, Black Watch Monument
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356064
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20862
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
John and William Birnie Rhind, 1887; builders Messrs Gow & Dewar, Aberfeldy. Rebuilt 1910 after lightning damage. Piled boulder cairn memorial to the Royal Highland Regiment. Large tablet (see below) set into cairn at each face, surmounted by figure (facing NE) of Private Farquhar Shaw (see Notes) in early Regimental uniform, carrying flintlock musket and drawing sword.
NE ELEVATION: figure of soldier in 1887 Highlander parade uniform inscribing tablet with list of Black Watch engagements.
SW ELEVATION: relief carved bust of Queen Victoria surmounting inscription "1887 THE YEAR OF THE JUBILEE OF QUEEN VICTORIA / THIS SITE HAS BEEN KINDLY GRANTED BY THE MOST NOBLE GAVIN MARQUIS OF BREADALBANE".
SE ELEVATION: inscription recording details of 1st assembly 'OCTOBER 1739' of 'INDEPENDENT COMPANIES' , and 1st muster 'MAY 1740' of 'ROYAL HIGHLANDERS'. Further tablet below inscribed 'ON 5TH SEPTEMBER 1970 / THE FREEDOM OF THE BURGH OF ABERFELDY WAS CONFERRED UPON THE BLACK WATCH'.
NW ELEVATION: tablet inscribed in Gaelic.
The monument was unveiled on 14th November, 1887 by the Marquis of Breadalbane. The building cost of ?500 was raised by public subscription. The Black Watch or Royal Highlanders date back to 3rd August,1667 when Charles II issued commissions for men to uphold peace in The Highlands. The resulting independent companies wore dark tartans, which led to the name (by about 1678) of 'Black Watch', they were originally known as the 'Highland Watch' or just 'Watch'. Private Farquhar Shaw was one of three soldiers shot as an 'example' in 1743 after a confused escape attempt from London back to the Highlands.
Other nearby listed buildings