This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.4711 / 57°28'15"N
Longitude: -3.226 / 3°13'33"W
OS Eastings: 326566
OS Northings: 842975
OS Grid: NJ265429
Mapcode National: GBR L8DZ.8YH
Mapcode Global: WH6K7.FG1Y
Plus Code: 9C9RFQCF+CJ
Entry Name: Aberlour Parish Church
Listing Name: Aberlour Parish Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356068
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20866
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Banffshire
Various builds and architects from 1838-40 on site of and probably including fragments of 1812 nave destroyed by
fire 1861. Neo-Norman 5-bay rectangular church with tower at W with entrance porch, apse at E. Mixed pinned granite with extensive use of contrasting tooled sandstone dressings.
Tower: dated 1840, William Robertson, Elgin, with later upper crenellated clock stage. Round-headed entrance in
centre, similar detailed round-headed upper windows. Raised addition with dummy angle bartizans, paired round-headed louvred vents and clockface in each elevation.
NAVE: George Petrie, 1861. 5-bay N and S elevations with bays 1,3,5, as shallow recesses, delineated by long-short dressed pilasters and decorative corbelling. Round-headed windows; nook shafts, chevron mouldings and hoodmoulds decorate fenestration in bays 2 and 4.
APSE AND VESTRY: 1833-5, J and W Wittet in consultation with Sir David Y Cameron, RA. Apse with 3 round-headed windows at E gable; vestry projects at NE, both additions in neo-Norman style. End stack at E; slate roof.
INTERIOR: remodelled 1933-5, also J & W Wittet with Sir David Y Cameron. Round-headed arch to apse flanked by similar arches (blind at right, housing organ loft) with attenuated nook shafts with cushion capitals to chancel;
similar blind arcading detailing to W gallery front (re-used from 1861 gallery) and to facetted pulpit and communion
table (both 1933). 1933 pews flank centre aisle. Stained glass in apse windows (centre by Gordon Webster);
lattice-pane to nave; multi-pane glazing to tower fenestration.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Nave of 1812 church destroyed by fire 1861. Renovations in 1933-5 due to dry rot. Sir Edmund Findlay of Aberlour
House gifted $1,000 towards cost of remodelling in memory of his father, Sir John, to whom 2 of the apse windows are dedicated; the 3rd window dedicated to Dr T A Sellar of Aberlour.
Plaque in tower lobby inscribed 'This Tower erected and the body of present church lengthened at the voluntary
expense of Alex. Grant of Aberlour. Robertson Archt. AD 1840.'
This plaque appears to be replacement of earlier plaque destroyed in 1861 fire.
Upgraded C(S) to B 9.11.87
Other nearby listed buildings