This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.471 / 57°28'15"N
Longitude: -3.2265 / 3°13'35"W
OS Eastings: 326535
OS Northings: 842964
OS Grid: NJ265429
Mapcode National: GBR L8DZ.8QZ
Mapcode Global: WH6K7.DHT1
Plus Code: 9C9RFQCF+9C
Entry Name: Old Drill Hall, 7 The Square, Aberlour
Listing Name: 7 Victoria Terrace, Old School (Former Drill Hall)
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356076
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20874
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Banffshire
Thomas Mackenzie, 1850. T-plan single storey Italianate former school. Harled
rubble with tooled ashlar margins, rubble E elevation.
7-bay N elevation, entrance E and S, at S masked by gabled
porch. Squared-headed fenestration except in gables where
tripartites have block imposts and single small oculus
above. Round-headed bellcote at S gable under diminutive
deep-eaved slate roof. Coped wallhead stacks; slate roofs
with deep eaves.
Prominently situated opposite the parish church. This building was originally built as a school, and is shown on the 1874 OS map in use as such. By 1905 a new school had been erected, and this building was used as a drill hall. It was designed by Thomas Mackenzie (1841-54) of Mackenzie and Matthews in 1850, but was built sometime after Mackenzie's death (it does not appear on the 1855 Plan of the Burgh of Barony of Charleston of Aberlour). Despite his short life, Mackenzie was a prolific architect. Born in Perthshire, ne moved to Aberdeen in 1835 and trained with both John Smith and Archibald Simpson. In 1839 he moved to Elgin, taking over William Robertson's practice in 1841, where he was joined by James Matthews in 1844. Mackenzie was a competent handler of building styles, and among more famous buildings are the neo-Tudor Milne's High School at Fochabers (1845-6) and the Italianate Elgin Museum (1842). The Bell from the bellcote hangs in the present Aberlour primary school.
Other nearby listed buildings