This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4726 / 57°28'21"N
Longitude: -3.2157 / 3°12'56"W
OS Eastings: 327188
OS Northings: 843137
OS Grid: NJ271431
Mapcode National: GBR L8FZ.7N0
Mapcode Global: WH6K7.KFYR
Entry Name: St Margaret's Episcopal Church and Burial Ground
Listing Date: 14 October 1976
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 356074
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20872
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Banffshire
Alexander Ross, 1875-79. Gothic. Tall cruciform church
orientated E-W, with clerestory and narrow buttressed side
aisles. Pink tooled granite, contrasting tooled ashlar
ashlar dressings. Slightly lower chancel with transepts
at E; gabled porch at SW with pointed-headed entrance flanked
by polished granite nook shafts with stiff leaf capitals,
niche with statue of St Margaret above. Slender octagonal
belltower rises at angle of W gable with porch, bell chamber
lit by narrow louvred lancets and facetted spire with 4
triangular louvred lucarnes.
5-bay aisles lit by narrow paired cusped lights and nave
clerestory with similar triple windows. E gable of chancel
with long triple windows under stepped continuous hoodmould;
geometric tracery in W gable window. Angle buttresses;
steeply pitched slate roofs.
INTERIOR: lofty aisled interior with braced timber roof.
Aisle arcade supported by squat red Peterhead polished
granite columns rising from contrasting ashlar bases with
richly carved capitals depicting flowers, foliage and fruit.
Chancel approached by flight of steps; gilded wrought-iron
screen; richly decorated white marble altar and reredos;
stained glass chancel windows. Arcaded sedilia in chancel.
Stained glass in aisle windows by Baguley, Newcastle
1887-1909. Caen stone font with marble enrichment and
carved oak cover (cover from Christ Church, Lancaster Gate,
London, demolished 1977). Circular stone pulpit (1936,
Davidson of Inverness). Decorative encaustic tiles to floors
(Minton); various mural memorials.
BURIAL GROUND: partially walled burial ground surrounds church
with simple entrance flanked by tooled rubble gate piers.
3 grey granite foundation stones from Aberlour Orphanage
(demolished) set by entrance; war memorial to boys from
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Church built and partially financed by Miss Margaret
MacPherson Grant of Aberlour House who died before its
completion which was funded by William Grant of Elchies.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87
Other nearby listed buildings