This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4633 / 55°27'47"N
Longitude: -4.6316 / 4°37'53"W
OS Eastings: 233720
OS Northings: 621978
OS Grid: NS337219
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XXWN
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.TYN4
Entry Name: 30-38 (Even Nos) Newmarket Street
Listing Date: 10 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357126
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21715
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
James I McDerment, 1869. 2-storey, 9-bay classical style block with shops at ground floor. Polished ashlar. Cill course; elaborate modillion cornice; quatrefoil balustrade. Lugged architraved windows.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to central cavetto-splayed round-arched entrance with head keystone; elaborate double-consoled cornice; small pendant heads to lower consoles, large head to upper consoles; 2-leaf timber doors with letterbox fanlight; bipartite window aligned above at 1st floor. 2 modern shops flanking to outer left and right; aluminium glazed door, letterbox fanlight and shop window to right, to shop to outer right; central entrance to shop to right; 2-leaf glazed timber door, fanlight, flanking shop windows; central entrance to shop to outer left, 2-leaf timber door, flanking shop windows; central modern glazed door, letterbox fanlight, flanking shop windows to shop to left. Regular single window fenestration at 1st floor.
4-pane timber sash and case windows at 1st floor. Roof (unseen 1998); coped stacks; polygonal cans.
INTERIORS: not seen 1998.
B Group with 3, 5-9 (Odd Nos), 11 and 13, 15-19 (Odd Nos), 21-25 (Odd Nos), 27 and 29, 31-39 (Odd Nos), 41 and 43, 45-51 (Odd Nos), 53-57 (Odd Nos), 71, 4, 6-10 (Even Nos), 12, 18-22 (Even Nos), 40 and 42, 44 and 46, 48 and 50-66 (Even Nos) Newmarket Street. John Knox head keyblock with Wallace and Bruce as springers to doorpiece. 'MacNeille Buildings' sign displayed to outer left and right at cill course. The street was developed along the lines of a lane in the 19th century, to give access to a new Butter Market on its N side. Site marked as a Butter Market on the Ordnance Survey map, 1858. Ayr Public Library occupied the building from 1870, taking in the stock of the Library Society in 1876 (formerly held in Fort Street) and Newton Parish Library in 1885 (Love, p12).