History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Queen's Court, 41 Sandgate, Ayr

A Category B Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.4632 / 55°27'47"N

Longitude: -4.633 / 4°37'58"W

OS Eastings: 233627

OS Northings: 621968

OS Grid: NS336219

Mapcode National: GBR 39.XXGS

Mapcode Global: WH2PP.SYZ7

Plus Code: 9C7QF978+7Q

Entry Name: Queen's Court, 41 Sandgate, Ayr

Listing Name: 41 Sandgate, Queen's Court Centre, Including Lamp Standards, Railings and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 15 February 1977

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357205

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21778

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Town: Ayr

Electoral Ward: Ayr West

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in


John Murdoch, dated 1873 (main section). Single, 2- and 3-storey with attics, 6-bay, (grouped 5-3) asymmetrical-plan former club. Rubble. Square-headed openings.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: entrances to outer left and right of recessed 5-bay section; 2-leaf timber door to left; letterbox fanlight; iron gate to right; single windows to remaining central bays at ground and 1st floor; single window at 1st floor to outer left. 2-light central dormer at attic. Single shop windows at ground to outer right and left to advanced gabled 3-bay section to right; tripartite windows at 1st and 2nd floors (stepped hoodmould at 1st floor); stepped wallhead above to crowstepped gable. Iron and glass veranda to re-entrant angle at ground; crowstepped gable to penultimate bay to right.

Predominantly timber sash and case windows to upper floors. Grey slate roof; crowstepped skews; gablehead stacks; circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

LAMP STANDARDS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: spear-headed railings surmount coped boundary wall to entrance elevation; barley-sugar posts to 3 lamp standards.

Statement of Interest

Dated 1873 on gable, the rear section, originally stables and entered from Newmarket Street, is of earlier origin as indicated by Ordnance Survey map, 1858. Former club, with 1st floor dining room. Adjoining to the left is the impressive Italianate former bank by Peddie and Kinnear (see separate list description).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.