This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4634 / 55°27'48"N
Longitude: -4.6329 / 4°37'58"W
OS Eastings: 233638
OS Northings: 621990
OS Grid: NS336219
Mapcode National: GBR 39.XXJ0
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.TY12
Plus Code: 9C7QF978+9R
Entry Name: Queens Court House, 39 Sandgate, Ayr
Listing Name: 39 Sandgate, Queen's Court House
Listing Date: 5 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357204
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21777
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr West
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Peddie & Kinnear, 1857. 3-storey, 5-bay Italian Renaissance former bank on corner site. Polished ashlar. Base course; connecting springing line to ground floor windows; ground floor frieze; 1st and 2nd floor cill courses (fretwork frieze beneath to NE elevation); eaves course (decorative roundels within to NE elevation); dentilled frieze; mutuled cornice. Raised quoins. Round-arched windows at ground floor, aprons, architraved from springing line to crown, keystones to NE elevation; consoled cornices at 1st floor round-arched windows, keystones, ornamental work to spandrels; shouldered-arched architraved windows at 2nd floor.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: entrances to outer right and left; decorative consoled doorpieces; shell tympana; keystones; 2-leaf timber doors; 3 single windows between. Regular fenestration to upper floors.
NE (NEWMARKET STREET) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Regular fenestration to all floors. Additional single bay to outer left (see Notes).
4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate low-pitched roof; corniced wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: decorative frieze and cornices remain to reception rooms; cast-iron barley sugar balusters and timber handrail to staircase.
Built for Royal Bank of Scotland. THE BUILDING CHRONICLE of 1857 writes, "... we are warranted in saying that its spacious dimensions, the elegance of the design, and the beauty of the stone (which was supplied from Dunaskin quarry, near Dalmellington), mutually combine to render the building an attractive ornament of the town." A wing to the rear of the building, with an entrance from Newmarket Street was used by the bank porter (see list description for 71 Newmarket Street).