This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.924 / 55°55'26"N
Longitude: -4.2188 / 4°13'7"W
OS Eastings: 261455
OS Northings: 672321
OS Grid: NS614723
Mapcode National: GBR 11.ZS7T
Mapcode Global: WH4Q1.5CBG
Plus Code: 9C7QWQFJ+HF
Entry Name: Lodge, Cawder Park, Cadder
Listing Name: Cawder Estate, Cawder House Gatelodge
Listing Date: 17 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357828
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22277
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Bishopbriggs North and Campsie
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
David Hamilton, early 19th century. Single storey, 3-bay irregular-plan gate lodge; low, semi-octagonal block to SE corner. Small entrance porch to W side. Large, coursed sandstone ashlar blocks, thin mortar courses. Squared, roughly coursed rubble to rear. Openings to front and sides with ogee-moulded architraves and moulded stone cills. Ashlar base course. Prominent overhanging eaves with long, consoled timber brackets returning to plain barge boards above wallhead (remodelled late 20th century).
S ELEVATION: 3 bays. Advanced central section with large window (small moulded corbelled brackets to cill). Thin banded cornice to windowhead. Pitch-roofed porch recessed to right; segmental arch doorway; timber panelled door. Low semi-octagonal section to left, square window.
W ELEVATION: 4 bays, arranged 1-3, left hand bay set higher than 3-sided, semi-ocatgonal section to right. Large, square window to left block. Segmental-arched windows to outer bays of semi-octagonal section (original windows remain in place, glazing panes painted white). Small, square window to central bay. Timber boarding infill between 2 eaves levels.
N ELEVATION: 2 bays, window and doorway off-centre left with painted strip margins and plain architraves.
E ELEVATION: 4 bays. Advanced, gabled porch to penultimate bay left; pointed-arched opening to centre with ogee-moulded margins and thick, pointed hoodmould. Rectangular opening to far left with label hoodmoulding. 2 windows to right.
INTERIOR: access not obtained, 2004.
Mainly PVCu, lying-pane windows. 2 original, 3 and 5 lying-pane timber-framed windows, painted over. 3-panel wooden door. Piended roofs to main blocks, pitched roof to porch. Grey slates. 2 pairs of tall, octagonal ashlar stacks; rectangular plinth; projecting octagonal cornice with domical caps. Circular clay cans, 1 capped.
A-group listing, also including Cawder House, Cawder Stables, Cawder Dovecot, Cawder Bridge, Cawder Icehouse and the lodge at 2 Cadder Road, Bishopbriggs. Cawder Gatelodge is a finely detailed and well-preserved gate lodge on the main drive of Cawder House (see separate listing). The gatelodge is the work of David Hamilton, built during the improvements to the Cawder Estate that were carried out by the architect in the early 19th century. Hamilton was one of Scotland's most prolific and popular architects of the time, his major works including the Royal Exchange in Glasgow (1827-1832), Hamilton Palace (now demolished) and Hutcheson's Hospital (1802-1805). Charles Stirling (owner and benefactor of Cawder House) was an enthusiastic patron of his work, and prior to taking ownership of Cawder, Stirling had commissioned Hamilton to build his previous mansion, Kenmure House (now demolished, on the site of Bishopbriggs Golf Club to the SW of Cawder). Hamilton then executed the Cawder Estate improvements between 1813 and 1815, before returning to Cadder again in 1825 to build Cadder Parish Church. The mixed usage of the name Cawder and Cadder to describe the house, village and estate can be a source of some confusion. In the ancient maps of Richardson and Forrest, the parish is marked as 'Cadder' (the parish being one of the original 365 designated parishes), whilst the House and estate are marked as 'Calder'. The use of 'Calder' has since disappeared, and until the early 20th century the estate, village and parish were all refered to as Cadder. The use of the name Cawder was adopted by the golf club and this has since become the most common name for the House and its related estate, whilst the village and parish have continued to be called Cadder. These changes in name and spelling have been put down to gradual changes in dialect and pronunciation through time.
The Gate Lodge is also of particular note for its proximity to the Antonine Wall, as the wall passes E-W across the Cawder Estate, to the N of the Lodge. It lies within the amenity zone for the Antonine Wall recommended in D N Skinner The Countryside of the Antonine Wall (1973), and which will form the basis of the buffer zone, yet to be defined, for the proposed Antonine Wall World Heritage Site.
Other nearby listed buildings