This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9227 / 55°55'21"N
Longitude: -4.2166 / 4°12'59"W
OS Eastings: 261588
OS Northings: 672172
OS Grid: NS615721
Mapcode National: GBR 11.ZST2
Mapcode Global: WH4Q1.6DCG
Plus Code: 9C7QWQFM+39
Entry Name: Cawdermill House, Cadder
Listing Name: Cadder Road, Cawdermill House
Listing Date: 17 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357831
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22279
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Bishopbriggs North and Campsie
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Possibly Robert Mackell, late 18th century with earlier 19th century additions. Single and 2-storey, 5-bay (arranged 1-3-1), U-plan former stables, house and inn (derelict, 2004) on the Forth and Clyde Canal. Squared random rubble, previously rendered (some render remains to sides and rear). Raised stone margins; stone cills; strip quoins; stone lintels to openings; projecting eaves course; overhanging, bracketed eaves. Segemental and round-arched, hoodmoulded openings to rear.
SE (CANAL) ELEVATION: single storey, 3-bay cottage to centre (possibly earlier); flanked by single storey, gabled pavilion to left and 2-storey gabled pavilion (possibly 19th century) to right. Central, slightly advanced, gabled and finialled porch to cottage. Flanking windows. Blind, tall segmental archway with raised strip architrave to far left block; blocked window inset (possibly later); large, arched fanlight above (now missing), separated by cornice across arch. Ground and 1st floor to far right (that to ground replacing earlier, large double doorway, possibly stable doors). Small round-arched opening to gablehead with raised margin.
SW ELEVATION: large, double doorway to ground floor; steel beam lintel with modern steel doorframe and door. Perpendicular wall adjoins elevation at centre. Remains of another, possibly related building further to SW.
NE ELEVATION: single storey, 3-bay cottage recessed to centre; advanced, gabled pavilion to far left; small round-arched slit opening to left at ground level and to gablehead. Advanced gabled pavilion to far right; bipartite, round-arched, hoodmoulded window to upper, central gable with window to ground floor left and later doorway to right. Further advanced, single storey, gabled wing set in re-entrant angle between left pavilion and cottage; window as previous to upper, central gable; segmental-arched windows flanking to ground floor. Ruins of various extensions and out-houses to N of cottage, obscuring original openings.
NW ELEVATION: 3 bays. Central ground floor window; 2 1st floor windows to outer bays.
INTERIOR: access not obtained, 2004.
Cawdermill House, also refered to sometimes as Cadder Mill, was one of the first combined stables and inn buildings located along the Forth and Clyde Canal (SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT), and is one of the few surviving that is close to its original form. The stables were formed through the extension of an earlier cottage that may originally have served as the house for Cadder Mill (demolished), sitting to the immediate N of the building on the road leading to Cawder House. This cottage is similar in style to the early lock-keepers cottage found at Wyndford (see separate listing), further to the E. The building functioned as a combined stables and inn probably from around the time of the canal opening, in 1775, until around 1830 when the Glasgow Bridge Stables opened only a short distance to the E. It was later converted to a dwelling house, and though now derelict (2004), the house was occupied until the mid to late 20th century.
Cawdermill House lies within the amenity zone for the Antonine Wall recommended in D N Skinner The Countryside of the Antonine Wall (1973), and which will form the basis of the buffer zone, yet to be defined, for the proposed Antonine Wall World Heritage Site.
Other nearby listed buildings