This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0555 / 56°3'19"N
Longitude: -3.6321 / 3°37'55"W
OS Eastings: 298454
OS Northings: 685938
OS Grid: NS984859
Mapcode National: GBR 1Q.QKZ5
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.52P3
Plus Code: 9C8R3949+55
Entry Name: Caldervale, West Green, Culross
Listing Name: Culross, West Green, Caldervale Including Walls
Listing Date: 12 January 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359813
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23970
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Mid 18th century, possibly earlier. 2-storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan house. Later rear additions. Pebble-dash; ashlar surrounds to windows and doors; cavetto eaves course and E vertical margin.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bays to house. Central door; moulded, lugged doorpiece with keystone; flanking windows. 3 1st floor windows hug eaves, centred above ground floor openings. Extra bay to E; 2 garage doors; 1st floor window above.
W ELEVATION: attached to Undercliff.
N ELEVATION: advanced section to far left; ground floor door to garage to left; blocked catslide dormer above. Lean-to roof provides single storey porch to left. Ground floor door to kitchen to near centre. 1st floor timber lean-to addition to centre, 1 window, door to right. Metal steps lead from door to garden; cast-iron balusters. 2-storey bathroom and store later wing to far right; ground floor door and 1st floor window in left return.
E ELEVATION: attached to Wrights House.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Roof light at rear. Timber panelled 2-leaf entrance door; narrow fanlight. Pitched slate roof. Asphalt roof to rear bathroom extension. Coped ridge stack (E gable of house); coped gable apex stack to E bay; polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: central flight of stone stairs opposite entrance door. Flagstones to lobby floor. Cupboard in room to W, left of fireplace hides steps and former interlinking door to Undercliff. Kitchen to right of entrance door; central window; blocked window to W of kitchen window, blocked door to E. Door links kitchen to garage. Rear wall cut through for access to timber corridor at 1st floor; thickness of wall visible. Coved ceilings at 1st floor. Early Victorian grate to fireplace in bedroom above kitchen. Murals on three of the walls of this room have been uncovered (January 2006). Possibly dating from late 19th century, they depict scenes of Culross. Late Victorian grate to fireplace in bedroom above garage. Panelled shutters in window splays; window seats.
Low stugged stone wall; ashlar coping extends from Undercliff wall to front; to left of garage doors. Replacement metal gate. 3 spur stones. Stone steps at rear of house lead from ground floor to garden. Stone steps at rear of garden lead up onto parapet walk beyond rubble and brick wall.
This was a former 3-bay house (possibly single storey cottage). The extra bay to the E may have been a forge/separate accommodation. The taller upper storey was added circa 1840 and the timber corridor late 19th century. There was a large range in the garage, possibly a former forge/servants quarters. It is possible that the West Green was the area of the burgh's forges, (Balgownie is said to mean 'township of the smiths'). According to Beveridge, a hammerman named Blaw lived here and Wrights House is situated next door. Iron baking girdles were a famous Culross product and Culross had the monopoly on their manufacture from late 16th century until 1727. The internal communication between this and the adjoining Undercliff is interesting, and there was also 1st floor access between the two houses. This is a feature which is seen in other houses in Culross, for example, Low Causeway, Pear Tree Cottage and House (J Laing). The 2-leaf door is also a typical feature found in many of the small Culross houses. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.
Other nearby listed buildings