History in Structure

Bessie Bar Hall, Main Street, Culross

A Category B Listed Building in Culross, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0556 / 56°3'20"N

Longitude: -3.6314 / 3°37'53"W

OS Eastings: 298499

OS Northings: 685947

OS Grid: NS984859

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QD4X

Mapcode Global: WH5QW.6201

Plus Code: 9C8R3949+6C

Entry Name: Bessie Bar Hall, Main Street, Culross

Listing Name: Culross, Bessie Bar's Hall

Listing Date: 12 January 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 359817

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB23973

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200359817

Location: Culross

County: Fife

Town: Culross

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Dated 1776. 3-storey, rectangular-plan former malthouse. Yellow coloured harl. Block ashlar surrounds to windows and doors. Gable faces on to street.

S ELEVATION: forestair from left. Stone steps; replacement timber handrail. 1st floor door to right; '1776' in lintel. Central 2nd floor hoist door/window. Central ventilation hole above; pointed arch; timber louvres.

E ELEVATION: forestair set back to far left; stone surrounds to small opening at base. Wide door to left of main elevation; gas lamp above right. 2 ground and 2 1st floor windows to right. Wide door to far right; gas lamp above left. Chamfered quoin to right gable. Section set back to far right built into bank; door to left. Stone steps to E lead into Palace garden and to rear of Bessie Bar's Hall.

N ELEVATION: wide central door leads into 1st floor above Bessie Bar's Hall.

W ELEVATION: plain elevation. Garden wall extends from left gable.

Replacement 9-pane timber casement windows, splayed internal cills. Wide timber studded doors. 2-leaf timber 1st floor door to S elevation. Pitched roof; clay pantiles. Raised roof level to N section.

INTERIOR: converted into tea room at ground floor; kitchens and lavatory to N; function room and gardener's workshop at 1st floor; storage at 2nd floor. Modern internal staircase to 1st and 2nd floors to S. Large fireplace retained in ground floor, S gable; small recess possibly for draught (now blocked) to left of fireplace in E elevation. Small blocked window in W elevation opposite cafe entrance door.

Statement of Interest

Bessie Bar is thought to have been Sir George Bruce's niece (NTS) and this was her malthouse. The nearby Bessie Bar Well was also named after her (see separate listing). According to Beveridge, Bessie's married name was Mrs Paterson and she had an extensive trade in malting. A tall rubble wall extends from the NW quoin to bound adjacent wynd (see separate listing). For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.