This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0555 / 56°3'19"N
Longitude: -3.6284 / 3°37'42"W
OS Eastings: 298686
OS Northings: 685938
OS Grid: NS986859
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QDTR
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.72F2
Plus Code: 9C8R394C+6J
Entry Name: The Ark, The Cross, Culross
Listing Name: Culross, the Cross, the Ark
Listing Date: 12 January 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359858
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24010
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
17th century. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay, rectangular-plan house. Sandstone rubble walls; harled exterior. Exposed stone surrounds. Exposed stone eaves course.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced bay to far left; entrance door to ground floor; roll-moulded surround. 1st floor window above to left. National Trust for Scotland (NTS) plaque to left. Left quoin partly chamfered. Bay set back to right; ground floor window to right; 1st floor window above to left. Right quoin chamfered with quoin stop at eaves. 3-bay section set back to right. Door to left; chamfered surround; 2 windows to right. 3 1st floor windows centred above (smaller central window, without stone surround). Right quoin chamfered to approximately ground floor ceiling height.
NE ELEVATION: ground floor window to left; 1st floor window centred above and to right. Stone eaves course painted white.
SE ELEVATION: not visible, obscured by parallel Little Causeway, Ark B.
SW ELEVATION: partially seen. 1st floor window to left and right. 2 central attic windows.
Replacement 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Studded timber boarded doors; tirling pin to both. Pitched roof to SW; piended to NE; clay pantiles. Gable apex stack to SW; polygonal clay cans.
INTERIOR: modernised interior. Exposed 1? stone arch at 1st floor on SE wall.
L-plan harled wall set back slightly from SW gable encloses yard to SW. Curved quoin; exposed flat coping stones; window/chute to left; door to right in NW elevation.
Situated in a prominent position at The Cross and at the top of Little and Mid Causeways. The building is believed to have been a sailor's hostel, which may explain its name. The internal stone arches are an interesting feature and they appear to stop abruptly at the NE gable as if truncated. The piers may have extended to the ground, however, the modern stairs now obstruct this. They may have been relieving arches for windows (as at The Study) which were redundant once the adjacent Ark B was built. The stepped plan of the NW elevation and eaves course suggest later development of the house, possibly building out over a forestair. Late 1930's photographs from the NMRS shows the building redundant and boarded up with a door instead of a window at the 2nd bay (principal elevation) and without the 4th bay windows at ground and 1st floor. 1950's drawings (stored at the NMRS) by Ian G Lindsay and Partners for the NTS show the plans for converting The Ark, Ark B and the Nunnery into one house. There are further plans dated 1960, for the rehabilitation of the 3 buildings as 3 separate dwellings. Restoration took place in 1964. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.
Other nearby listed buildings