History in Structure

Dalkeith Park House, 177 High Street, Dalkeith

A Category B Listed Building in Dalkeith, Midlothian

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.8976 / 55°53'51"N

Longitude: -3.067 / 3°4'1"W

OS Eastings: 333372

OS Northings: 667681

OS Grid: NT333676

Mapcode National: GBR 7007.SQ

Mapcode Global: WH6T1.V1P4

Plus Code: 9C7RVWXM+35

Entry Name: Dalkeith Park House, 177 High Street, Dalkeith

Listing Name: 177 High Street, Dalkeith Park House

Listing Date: 18 October 1976

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 360332

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24406

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200360332

Location: Dalkeith

County: Midlothian

Town: Dalkeith

Electoral Ward: Dalkeith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


William Burn, circa 1830. 2-storey gabled asymmetric Jacobean-baronial house, now converted into flats. Single storey wing linking stable and coach house range at SW corner. Stugged ashlar; W and S elevations stugged sqared and coursed rubble. Droved chamfered reveals and deeply chamfered cills. Replacement concrete cills and lintels to enlarged windows. Base course. String course between ground and 1st floors. Slits or square blank panels to gableheads.

E ELEVATION: 5-bay: advanced gabled bays to centre and left of centre, slightly advanced gabled bay to outer right and recessed bay to outer left with re-entrant stair tower on return. Original main door (now blocked) with moulded surround and hoodmould over-stepping blank panel above in outer right bay. Canted bay window with blind strapworked parapet in centre bay; enlarged window at 1st floor. Doors slapped in former windows in bays flanking centre (No 1 to left and No 3 to right). Further door (No 2) in original opening on return of advanced centre bay to left below bracketted stack. Dormerheads in bays to outer left and inner right (now truncated). Regularly disposed fenestration. Circular tower, with four 4-pane slit windows, intercepts fenestrated return of outer bay; bay to left with blind window at 1st floor and lean-to block at ground clasping tower.

N ELEVATION: M-gabled to right with recessed bay to left. Canted bay window as above between 2 gabled bays; 2 windows at 1st floor with over-stepping string course. Dormerhead to fenestrated recessed bay.

W ELEVATION: 6-bay with lower recessed bay to inner right. Outer bays gabled; tall 18-pane window at ground floor and 1st floor window with over-stepping string course in outer left bay. Regularly disposed fenestration in remaining bays, predominantly replacements, with additional 8-pane replacement window to left of inner right bay.

S ELEVATION: single storey wing to left and modern porch (No 4) to right. Set-off wallhead stack intercepts dormerhead of bracketted window to left. Several windows to right.

Largely 12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Gablet-coped skews, some with kneelers; bracketted skewputts, skewblocks to N. Corniced stacks. Conical roof to tower with eaves course and spike finial. Large grey slates. Some original rainwater goods, piercing string course.

INTERIOR: No 1 (1st floor flat): some sub-division of rooms; coved ceilings with plain cornices; marble mantlepiece; circular spoked ceiling-light in hall. No 3 (ground floor flat): several rooms retained with some sub-division to W; original moulded door surrounds and cornices.

COACH HOUSE: single storey with hayloft; same detailing as house. Converted to 3 garages to SE, and a dwelling (No 5) to SE. Gabled elevation projects beyond house to W with gabled former carriage arch (?) on N return. Semicircular coped rubble wall running W around garden adjoined to S.

Statement of Interest

Dalkeith Park House was designed as the residence of the Duke of Buccleuch's chamberlain, replacing the earlier Chamberlain's House, shown on Wood's Map 1822, which stood within the Duke's Gates. The Chamberlain, Robert Scott-Moncrieff, and his family took up residence in 1834. After the death of the Chamberlain, Cunningham-Scott, in circa 1918, the house was let from circa 1920s until it was converted into flats, with various alterations, in the 1960s (complete by 1967) by the Buccleuch Estate.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.