History in Structure

Hillbank Mill, Alexander Street, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4702 / 56°28'12"N

Longitude: -2.9647 / 2°57'52"W

OS Eastings: 340663

OS Northings: 731318

OS Grid: NO406313

Mapcode National: GBR ZBK.V1

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.FMGP

Plus Code: 9C8VF2CP+34

Entry Name: Hillbank Mill, Alexander Street, Dundee

Listing Name: Alexander Street and 46, 48 Dens Road, Hillbank, or Blakey's Mill

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361041

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24922

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361041

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Coldside

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Flax mill

Find accommodation in


1834-6. 3-storey and attic 2-by 17-bay red sandstone
rubble-built flax mill, iron-framed at lower floors.
N elevation central blocked arched cart entry at ground
floor, 3 large loading doors, apparently original, and
5 large asymmetrically-placed windows. 4 blocked
windows to basement flax store at E end of mill below
bipartite which replaced in circa 1840 a larger loading
door or engine house window. Symmetrically-placed
large 1st and smaller 2nd floor windows. S elevation
17-bay with central depressed arched cart entry flanked
on each side by altered loading doors, 2 windows and
blocked loading doors below symmetrically placed
external stairs (removed) to 1st floor doors at each
end of mill. 1st and 2nd floor windows as N with central
dormer hoist over 2nd floor door. Narrow 2-bay E and W
gables with skewputts. 2 arched openings to E basement.
Slate roof with small skylights. 8-pane 1st floor and
6-pane 2nd floor casement windows.
Interior: iron-framed basement, ground and 1st floor.
A single row of cast-iron columns carry cast-iron
beams stapled to shallow brick arches tensioned by
wrought-iron ties and intersected by boxes for gearing,
belts and hoists. 2nd floor cast-iron columns carry a
lengthwise timber beam supporting wooden floor of small
timber attic.

Statement of Interest

After the Coffin Mill, the longest of the 4 large-scale

1830s flax mills in the city, with an unusual and

primitive form of iron-frame. Feued in 1834 by C and R

Milne. Owned in 1836 by R G Holden and Co with a 60hp

engine, and later by J H Blakey; Blakey Holden and Co;

Swan Brothers; and the Hillbank Spinning Co. The ground

floor was primarily a warehouse, hence the numerous

doors. Spinning was carried out above and in 2 smaller

mills, circa 1840, with main engine house, and circa

1880, both demolished.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.