History in Structure

Dura Works, Dura Street, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Maryfield, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4695 / 56°28'10"N

Longitude: -2.9631 / 2°57'47"W

OS Eastings: 340760

OS Northings: 731236

OS Grid: NO407312

Mapcode National: GBR ZBP.7T

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.GN68

Plus Code: 9C8VF29P+RQ

Entry Name: Dura Works, Dura Street, Dundee

Listing Name: 1 Dura Street and Return Elevations to Dens Road, Cowan Street and Brown Constable Street, Dura Works (Excluding Single-Storey Rear)

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361139

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24999

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361139

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Factory

Find accommodation in


1834-6, 2-storey and attic L-plan, rubble-built, iron
framed flax and jute mill. The oldest mill faces Dens
Road; next was the 14-bay mill in Cowan St. The two are
linked by a 6-bay extension to the Cowan St Mill, fully
completed 1851-7.
Dens Road: 2-storey and raised attic 12- by 3-bay mill.
W elevation: 2 tripartite sash and case windows for beam
engine house towards N end of mill. Original boiler house
in ground floor of mill in 3 bays to N (adjoining later
boiler house excluded from list), and 2 widely spaced
windows at 1st floor. Blind 2nd floor, raised in later
19th century. E elevation: ground floor arcade at N to
boiler house. Projecting stone stair by engine house.
Upper wall carried on stout flanged cast-iron columns with
massive cruciform brackets and large cast-iron beams
inserted in 1860s for access from preparing sheds. Upper
floors similar to W elevation with later lift and wc block
at N. Fenestration at N elevation forms an inverted triangle
with door at base, 2 windows to ground floor boiler house,
3 closely spaced windows at 1st floor and 3 more widely
spaced windows at 2nd floor. Small oculus and flat-topped
finial to N gable. Regular 3-storey 3-bay S gable, with
small oculus and flat-topped finial.
Cowan St: long 2-storey range with cornice and original
attic, built in 3 stages. A regular 14-bay mill with
small engine room marked by a round-headed window at W end.
Complex 6-bay link to Dura St mill, partially recessed and
corbelled, including 2 windows with cast-iron mullions at
1st floor. N elevation: upper wall carried on stout flanged
cast-iron columns inserted in 1870s. 1st floor similar to
S elevation but part with small late addition, brick with
hipped roof, over loading bay, originally a courtyard.
E elevation 2-bay ground floor, with later loading door.
Single window combined with a hoist door at 1st floor.
Cornice, window, oculus and flat-topped finial to gable.
Windows at 1st floor of Cowan St Mill are 12-pane sash and
case, rest are later 19th century 10-pane top-hoppers.
Interior: Ground and 1st floors fireproof. Flanged
cast-iron columns carry cast-iron beams (with eyelets at
1st floor of Dens Road block), brick arches and wrought
iron-ties. Dens Road mill has steel reinforcements and
a single-span timber roof from later 19th century. Heavy
cast-iron columns, beams and massive brackets carry the
N and E walls at ground floor level. Original plastered
timber roof with wrought-iron ties over Cowan St mill,
with continuous skylight to N and single skylights to S
Concrete floor inserted in engine house. Fine spiral stair
with ashlar newal.

Statement of Interest

List excludes 2-storey office at Dura St, 1865 weaving shed,

extended to Brown Constable St for spinning in 1889, and

1860s-70s preparing shed in angle of mills.

Opened in 1836 by J and H Walker of Blebo Mills, Dura Den, near

Cupar, Fife. In 1873 Harry Walker and Sons moved to Caldrum

Works and P J Walker carried on Dura Works. James Scott acquired

Dura Works in 1888 to spin yard woven at Mid Wynd Works, and

Dura Works is now the major surviving building that belonged to

this significant company.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.