History in Structure

Castlehill House, Castlehill

A Category A Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4612 / 56°27'40"N

Longitude: -2.9679 / 2°58'4"W

OS Eastings: 340452

OS Northings: 730310

OS Grid: NO404303

Mapcode National: GBR ZB5.16

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.CVYP

Plus Code: 9C8VF26J+FR

Entry Name: Castlehill House, Castlehill

Listing Name: Castle Hill, South West Corner of Commercial Street and High Street, Castle Hill House, Including Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 4 February 1965

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361136

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24993

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: Burnhead

ID on this website: 200361136

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


Late 18th century, with later additions; extensively restored 1993 by Simpson and Brown. 3-storey, 3-bay, classically-detailed town house. Rubble-built with ashlar dressings, lime-washed, slate roof. Rusticated quoins, ashlar-coped skews, corniced end stacks. Ashlar-margined windows, 12-pane timber sash and case glazing.

N ELEVATION: Central stuccoed porch at ground and 1st floors added circa 1853-4 with pilastered and corniced doorpiece and main cornice, masking original Venetian windows to ground and 1st floors Bay to left obscured by entrance and stair to St Roque's Halls. Single-storey flat-roofed passage linking house to church added circa 1950.

S ELEVATION: prominent projecting 3-bay bow to centre, centre bay blind, battered concrete base, small windows at ground floor with linking lintel course, central shouldered wallhead stack with oculus; single window to all floors at bays to left and right; 2 canted dormers.

INTERIOR: largely intact, including cornices and joinery, and some chimneypieces. Original spiral stair with stone newel at ground floor, wrought-iron balusters above; later spiral stair with ornate cast-iron balusters giving external access to 1st floor.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble boundary wall to front, part of similar wall to St Roque's Hall and St Paul's Cathedral.

Statement of Interest

This house is built on the medieval castle rock, perhaps the grandest surviving Georgian house within the ancient burgh boundary. Formerly named Burnhead, this house and the adjoining Burnside (demolished for the erection of St Roque's Hall) was built by Thomas Wemyss and his brother, who ran the thread making factory to the south. The house, although without its bowed centre bay, is almost certainly that shown in the circa 1780 oil painting of the Dundee waterfront; what is presumably the thread factory is also to be seen. Neave's 1822 map shows the house to be 'Mr Duncan's house', which was later occupied

by Bishop Alexander Penrose Forbes, 1853-76, in whose tenure schoolrooms were formed in the ground floor necessitating the

additional stair. The house was renamed Castlehill in 1861.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.