History in Structure

The Sea Captain's House And Calendar, 48-50 St Andrew's Lane, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4638 / 56°27'49"N

Longitude: -2.9664 / 2°57'59"W

OS Eastings: 340549

OS Northings: 730606

OS Grid: NO405306

Mapcode National: GBR ZBC.KK

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.DSNM

Plus Code: 9C8VF27M+GC

Entry Name: The Sea Captain's House And Calendar, 48-50 St Andrew's Lane, Dundee

Listing Name: 48, 50 St Andrews Street or Lane, and Cowgate, Former Dundee Calender and Villa: "The Sea Captain's House"

Listing Date: 30 June 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361523

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25310

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361523

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


18th century 2-storey and attic villa, formerly detached and in its own grounds. 3-storey linen calendering building to rear built 1822.

VILLA circa 1760-1770. Symmetrical 2-storey 3-bay, rubble-built with lime wash. Centre door, doorpiece missing, approached by steps. 12-pane sash and case windows, slate roof, restored skewputts.

INTERIOR: remodelled circa 1810-30 uniform treatment of fluted pilaster architraves to doors, windows and window recesses. Lugged and shouldered panelling to doors and dados. Some chimney pieces missing,

1 remains with similar fluted decoration. Semi-circular stair with simple wrought-iron bannister.

CALENDER: 3-storey, 10-bay rubble built. End gables adjoin later buildings.

N ELEVATION: ground floor slapped out to timber-roofed calender shed carried on cast-iron columns. Partition reformed with modern brick. Upper floors 7-bay. 3 bays to left adjoined later L-plan addition, since removed. Slate roof. Windows sash and case, 12-pane glazing pattern.

INTERIOR: Lengthwise timber beam on 2 rows of timber posts. 2 cast iron beams at ground floor later added to fit around larger machines, columns since removed. 2nd floor boarded walls, gas light fittings. Notable hydraulic lift at NW corner with vertical ram powered by water pressure, probably circa 1870. Grooves for flywheel of true vertical steam engine in shed to N.

Statement of Interest

The first calendering and press packing establishment in Dundee, erected by William Shaw in 1822, originally also as a spinning mill. In 1893 the 3-storey building was used as "warerooms, cropping, beaming and mangle finishing rooms". Historian A J Warden was manager here.

The villa is the smaller of a pair that once enjoyed sea aspect. Known as the "sea captain?s house", but it was in the hands of the trustees of Dr Helenus Scott in 1829 when a legal dispute attempted to stave off further land reclamation. The fight to retain the area as a pleasant residential district was soon afterwards given up, the villa became the

counting house of the adjacent Dundee Calender, and the garden has vanished. Restored 1995-6 by the Dundee Building Preservation Trust for St Aiden?s Trust.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.