History in Structure

Custom House, Dock Street, Dundee

A Category A Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4613 / 56°27'40"N

Longitude: -2.9642 / 2°57'51"W

OS Eastings: 340680

OS Northings: 730319

OS Grid: NO406303

Mapcode National: GBR ZBL.GH

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.FVPL

Plus Code: 9C8VF26P+G8

Entry Name: Custom House, Dock Street, Dundee

Listing Name: Dock Street, Former Custom House and Harbour Chambers

Listing Date: 12 July 1963

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 362044

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25673

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200362044

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Custom house

Find accommodation in


John Taylor and James Leslie 1842-3, extended by C and L Ower 1884.

Greek Revival Ionic customs house, 3-storey ashlar-built with channelled ground floor, architraved windows over, corniced at 1st. Coursed rubble rear. Full entablature with dentil cornice to 3 sides,

simple main cornice to rear.

ELEVATION TO DOCK STREET: 13-bay, centre 3 project with tetrastyle Greek Ionic portico over arcaded and wreathed ground floor. Central Custom House door with royal arms in typanum. Royal arms in main pediment (recarved by Graciella Ainsworth, 1992). Advanced arched entrances at 3rd and 11th bays, scroll-supported 1st floor consoled and pedimented windows over with balustraded aprons.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay with similar arched entrance and scroll-supported window over. Segmental arched coach-house entrance to right with balustraded parapet.

E ELEVATION: extended for Harbour Board by C and L Ower 1884 from 3 to 5 bays, consoled and pedimented windows at 2nd and 4th bays of 1st floor. Ground floor arched entrance moved to single-storey 4-bay wing, not channelled, with parapet.

REAR: coursed rubble, ashlar margined windows and main cornice.

Advanced 4-bay elevation to the Ower addition. Rubble-built S boundary wall with circa 1920 single-storey harled garage added to S.

Piended slate roof with ashlar ridge stacks. Sash and case windows, 12-pane glazing pattern.

INTERIOR: pilastered vestibule to Custom House. Harbour Trust Boardroom formed 1884 with fine timber chimneypiece, plaster ceiling remodelled, with unicorns, by Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art circa 1950.

Wrought and cast-iron railings to side elevations.

Statement of Interest

W end of building, formerly occupied by Dundee Harbour Trust Dundee/Port Authority, and the E end the Custom House, the second largest in Scotland after Greenock.

Wrought-iron gates to E listed separately under East Dock Street.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.