History in Structure

2/L And Top Floor Flats (Accessed From And Known As 59 Dock Street), Including 1/L, 60 Dock Street

A Category C Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4616 / 56°27'41"N

Longitude: -2.9647 / 2°57'53"W

OS Eastings: 340648

OS Northings: 730357

OS Grid: NO406303

Mapcode National: GBR ZBH.2N

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.FVGB

Plus Code: 9C8VF26P+J4

Entry Name: 2/L And Top Floor Flats (Accessed From And Known As 59 Dock Street), Including 1/L, 60 Dock Street

Listing Name: 60 Dock Street, Including 1/L, 2/L and Top Floor Flats (Accessed from and Known As 59 Dock Street)

Listing Date: 2 September 2009

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 400238

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51353

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200400238

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Dundee

Description

Probably C & L Ower, circa 1880. Well-detailed 3-storey and attic, single bay Dutch-gabled terraced tenement with shop at ground, sited on busy city street facing former Custom House and flanked by separately listed buildings. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Traditional shop front with mutuled cornice, band course with circular end stops and decorative corbelled frieze with monogrammed 'JH' and finialled dies. Roll-moulded shouldered openings at ground, hoodmould with stop-chamfered arrises and lintels to tripartite at 1st floor, hoodmould with label stops to pointed arch bipartite at 2nd, diminutive corbelled V-plan bipartite under fishscale-slated roof at shaped gable with blocky segmental stone finial.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: rear elevation to NW has 2-storey narrow horizontally-boarded bay with traditional timber hoist in tiny gablehead.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case window to 1st floor, fixed shop window to ground and non-traditional uPVC windows at 2nd floor and attic. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews.

INTERIOR: moulded cornicing, decorative ceiling rose, panelling and part-glazed timber partitioning at 1st floor.

Statement of Interest

An important contributor to this busy streetscape facing Dundee's harbour, 60 Dock Street's tall, narrow elevation crowned by a shaped gable is a reminder of Scotland's maritime links with the Low Countries. It is an integral part of the streetscape and its single bay form is unusual. The picturesque fa├žade links David Maclaren's imposing corner sited Sailors' Home of 1881 to the east (numbers 62-63) and John Murray Robertson's Art and Crafts style former Great Eastern public house of 1880 to the west (numbers 56-59). Both of these buildings are listed separately. Access to the upper floors of number 60 (flats 1/L, 2/L and Top Floor) is via the easternmost door of the former public house at number 59. Consequently, the postal addresses for 1/L, 2/L and Top Floor Flat are all 59 Dock Street.

The monogrammed initials 'JH' indicate that this property was built for James Hynd - listed in the Dundee Directory as 'house and ship painter''- last listed in the edition for 1891-2. Thereafter only his home address (No 2 Roslin Street) is given- (Scran, record 000-000-257-611). Hynd's shop sold paperhangings, but a photograph taken by Alexander Wilson on 20 April 1894 shows that it had become Andrew Gray's Chandlery.

Examples of the work of the successful Dundee-based architectural practice of brothers Charles and Leslie Ower can be seen throughout Dundee. During the 1870s their commissions included the Dundee Courier and Advertiser offices, and in 1880 they were working at 32 Bank Street and 104 Commercial Street as well as Dock Street. Across the Tay, the Owers built Newport Ferry Station and its row of shops, and Newburgh Public Hall. In 1884, 'Charles Ower was effectively the founder of the Dundee Institute of Architects' (Dictionary of Scottish Architects). The partnership dissolved in 1898.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.