History in Structure

31-39 Beach Crescent, Broughty Ferry, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4651 / 56°27'54"N

Longitude: -2.8731 / 2°52'23"W

OS Eastings: 346302

OS Northings: 730667

OS Grid: NO463306

Mapcode National: GBR VN.3NLX

Mapcode Global: WH7RC.VR2N

Plus Code: 9C8VF48G+2Q

Entry Name: 31-39 Beach Crescent, Broughty Ferry, Dundee

Listing Name: Broughty Ferry, 31 Beach Crescent, Including Wall and Gatepiers at King Street

Listing Date: 4 February 1965

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 362160

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25761

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200362160

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: The Ferry

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Architectural structure Art gallery

Find accommodation in
Broughty Ferry


James MacLaren, circa 1866. 2-storey, 4-bay irregular plan Italianate villa; former gallery at rear, circa 1936, James Findlay. Coursers with ashlar quoins redressed, with extensive mortar repairs to dressings and canted windows; slate roof.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical, slightly advanced outer bays with 2-storey canted windows, set-back at 1st floor; single-storey flat-roofed addition at left with square-section down pipe and box hopper. Off-centre door; moulded and keystoned round-arched doorpiece with continuous hoodmould and parapet; shallow advanced bipartite window at right with blind parapet; flanking canted windows with panelled aprons, moulded string course at 1st floor level. Ground floor windows round-headed with keystoned architraves, squared with plain margins at 1st floor, all 2-pane sash and case with additional small panes at top. Moulded eaves course, cast-iron guttering, 5 corniced stacks with decorative cans, small central square lantern light, piended roof. Low enclosing wall at S with pyramidal capped angle piers.

N ELEVATION: large paired stair windows at centre with single window at left, margined glazing; various other windows; plain 2-storey wing at left with lowr stable block.

Former gallery at right, 2-storey, 6-bay snecked rubble with channelled pilasters, modern 2-pane sash and case windows, corner piers. 'Ochar Gallery' in sculpted panel at N elevation to King Street; margined oculus with stained glass panel 'James Guthrie Ochar 1825-1898' and foliate hoodmoulded at 1st floor, skew gable with rounded apex stone. Flat-coped, snecked rubble wall with 2 pyramidal-capped gatepiers enclosing courtyard.

Statement of Interest

Built for Stephen the shipbuilder, and subsequently housed Provost Ochar's collection of 19th century Scottish paintings; buildings; reconstructed internally 1988-89 and collection removed to McManus Gallery, Dundee.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.