This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0696 / 56°4'10"N
Longitude: -3.4678 / 3°28'3"W
OS Eastings: 308722
OS Northings: 687282
OS Grid: NT087872
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PLWH
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.PPWT
Plus Code: 9C8R3G9J+VV
Entry Name: Tower Bridge, Pittencrieff Park, Dunfermline
Listing Name: Pittencrieff Park, Tower Bridge
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362437
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25967
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
1780 built above 1611 structure; parapets by James Shearer, 1915. Semicircular-arched bridge over segmental pointed-arched bridge; lower arch reinforced on N side by pair of semicircular arches, probably added during repairs of 1788. Coursed lightly stugged sandstone with sandstone ashlar dresssings. V-jointed ashlar voussoirs and ashlar soffits to both arches. Coped parapets; pair of short balustraded sections flanking solid parapet above arch on both sides. Flanking buttresses to arch on both on both sides. Carved stone panel above lower arch on S side bears date '1611' and initials 'A R'. Keystone below inscribed '1788' (probably date of repairs). Stone panel to arch above bears shield and inscription 'rebuilt 1780'. Initials, probaby 'C D J', carved on panel adjoining coping above. Inside of N parapet carved with date '1915'.
The original (lower) bridge was built to carry the main road to the W of Dunfermline across Tower Burn. In the later 18th century the road was diverted away from what was by then the grounds of Pittencrieff House and the level of the bridge and approach road raised to provide more level access to the house. The house and park were purchased by Andrew Carnegie in 1902 and opened as a public park the following year. The park is included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes (see above). See separate list descriptions for park buildings, including Pittencrieff House.
Other nearby listed buildings