This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0709 / 56°4'15"N
Longitude: -3.4619 / 3°27'42"W
OS Eastings: 309091
OS Northings: 687411
OS Grid: NT090874
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PG79
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.SNNW
Entry Name: 11 Guildhall Street, Former Employment Exchange Building
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362466
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25998
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
H M Office of Works, 1935-37. 3-storey; L-plan former office building/employment exchange with short narrow wing to N side. Late 17th century Scottish Renaissance design with pedimented dormer windows and flanking ogee-roofed pavilion-style entrance porches to principal (E) elevation. Coursed rockfaced sandstone rubble to principal elevation; harled to N side; sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course and eaves band to principal elevation. Architraved windows with flanking long and short surrounds to upper floors to principal elevation; those to 1st floor with relieving arches above; those to 2nd floor with pediments. Coped gables; scrolled skewputts to principle elevation. Angle quoins to principle elevation.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5 bays. Entrance porches project to flanking outer bays; each with small window with moulded surround and entrance with 6-panel timber door to inner return; panel to outer return of right porch bears crown above letters ER and date 1936, all carved in stone. Ground floor window to each of 3 central bays; each curved at upper edges and with long and short surrounds and radiating keyblocks to lintel. Window to each bay to 1st floor. 4 dormer windows (to spaces in between bays) to 2nd floor. Short section of harled and coped boundary wall set back to outer right; central entrance with long and short surrounds; 6-panel timber door.
W ELEVATION: 7 bays; architraved entrances to 2nd bay from left and 2nd bay from right. 2-light mullioned window to each floor to central bay; otherwise fairly regular fenestration.
N ELEVATION: short narrow wing projects to right of centre. 4 bays to left; regularly fenestrated to upper storeys. 3 irregularly fenestrated bays to right.
Mainly 20-pane timber sash and case windows to principle (N) elevation; mainly 12/15-pane timber sash and case windows elsewhere. Grey slate roofs where visible. Harled coped gablehead stack to S side; octagonal cans.
A finely detailed and constructed 1930's building in the vernacular revival tradition. It unusually bears the insignia of (the never crowned) Edward VIII. It originally housed the Inland Revenue as well as the local labour exchange. It ceased to be used by government departments in 1994 and was converted to flats in 1998.
Other nearby listed buildings