This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0727 / 56°4'21"N
Longitude: -3.4607 / 3°27'38"W
OS Eastings: 309167
OS Northings: 687612
OS Grid: NT091876
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PGGB
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.TM6G
Entry Name: 6-8 (Even Nos) Pilmuir Street, Former Women's Institute
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362511
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26038
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Archibald Welsh, 1911-12. 2-storey and attic; 7-bay; rectangular-plan former women's institute. Renaissance design with pedimented windows, dentilled eaves cornice and mullioned and transomed windows to principal (W) elevation. Lightly droved polished sandstone ashlar principal elevation and part of S elevation; stugged snecked sandstone elsewhere; lightly droved dressings. Base course, band course above ground floor windows and dentilled eaves cornice with scrolled brackets to principal elevation (and part of S elevation); moulded cornice (partially adjoining 1st floor cills) and eaves cornice throughout. Chamfered reveals to openings.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: round-arched entrance to 2nd bay from right; deep splayed reveal decorated with fruit and animal motifs and outer moulding to arch; 2-leaf panelled timber door with replacement fanlight. Flanking 2-light mullioned windows; each set within recessed panel adjoining apron of 2-light window above; 2-light window recessed in panel with apron adjoining entrance; flanking vertical band courses adjoin entrance architrave and rise to meet cornice at 1st floor cill level; panel (formerly bearing name of institute) with pendant garland to either side set within frieze below cornice; swagged flanking panels. Pedimented window with outer architrave above; date (1912) intertwined to cartouche at centre of pediment; flanking finials to pediment and foliage and scrolls at base of window. Flanking windows with cornices surmounted by monogrammed cartouches set against strapwork. 3 pedimented dormer windows above; each with flanking finials and one at apex of pediment. 4 large windows to left of ground floor; all 9-light with mullions and transoms except for that to outer left, bottom 3 of which now occupied by later 20th century inserted entrance. 4-light mullion and transom to each bay above; 4 piended rectangular dormers to attic.
S ELEVATION: stepped down slightly in 2 stages to right. Central entrance with late 20th century pedimented timber architrave and panelled door. 2 levels of blocked 2-light mullioned windows and single lights to left; irregular fenestration here and above. Double entrance (altered and one opening blocked) to right. Flanking single light windows to 2 levels; 2-light mullion above. 3 larger 2-light windows to 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated 5 bays to centre; large ground floor window to each bay; large rectangular piended 2-light breaking eaves dormer (eaves cornice as transom) above. Slightly taller outer bays; each chamfered at outer edge and at upper inner edge; 2-light transom window to 1st floor; large ground floor window to outer right; small window at lower level to outer left.
N ELEVATION: adjoins Nos 10-14 Pilmuir Street along street. Visible upper sections blank. Inner recess/light well visible to right of centre.
Multi-pane casements and sashes to upper floors; mostly leaded fixed lights (some incorporating Art Nouveau motifs) to ground floor to principal elevation. Grey slate roof, partially piended to rear. Gablehead stacks to N and S; ridge stack in between; semi-wallhead stack to S; all coped with band courses; round cans. 3 original cast-iron drainpipes with bulbous rainwater heads to principal elevation.
INTERIOR: ground floor substantially altered.
Built by the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust to provide a meeting place for young women. It later became a youth centre and is currently (1999) privately owned and in use as an amusement hall and club.
Other nearby listed buildings