This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.765 / 55°45'53"N
Longitude: -4.1758 / 4°10'32"W
OS Eastings: 263585
OS Northings: 654546
OS Grid: NS635545
Mapcode National: GBR 3V.9ZV3
Mapcode Global: WH4QT.TCQB
Plus Code: 9C7QQR7F+XM
Entry Name: Montgomerie Arms Hotel, Montgomery Street, East Kilbride
Listing Name: Montgomery Street, Montgomerie Arms Hotel
Listing Date: 15 March 1963
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363258
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26610
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1719. 2-storey, 5-bay hotel with ranges forming a courtyard. Squared and snecked rubble; raised and painted margins. Painted base course and eaves course.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central door with 2 single windows flanking with flower baskets (re-used horse troughs); 5 windows above at 1st floor. Single storey link with door and window connect main building with W range, extending back.
NE (GLEBE STREET) ELEVATION: single windows in right bay at ground and 1st floor; small window in attic above. 2-storey, 6-bay range extends to rear: blocked door in 1st bay at ground; single window in 2nd bay; blocked archway with single window in 3rd bay; single window in 4th bay; pair of doors in end bays; 6 windows at 1st floor.
SE ELEVATION: adjoining 8 Glebe Street.
SW (KIRKYARD) ELEVATION: single storey long range extends to rear, forming boundary to Parish Church Kirkyard, constructed of 3 buildings. 2 single windows, with raised and painted margins, at 1st building; single window at 2nd building; blocked openings at 3rd building; end gable leads into boundary wall.
In 1840, there were 15 inns and public houses in East Kilbride. The Montgomerie Arms is the oldest inn in the town today and ends the vista of the oldest street in East Kilbride. Montgomery Street, originally the High Street, remained the heart of the village until the 1950s New Town development. The high status of the street is evident in the older properties: the Parish Kirk, the old Courthouse and this large coaching house. Its current name commemorates the Montgomerie-Cunninghame family; in the 18th century Sir Alexander Montgomerie Cunningham inhabited the House of Kirktoun Holm. The inn has retained the original spelling of the name.
Other nearby listed buildings